Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP dv6 unmountable_boot_volume

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

this laptop suddenly strayed exhibiting boot failure, specifically an unmountable boot volume error.
F11 to get to system recovery results in a desktop but nothing else except a mouse cursor that moves.
I cant tell if this is 32 or 64 bit w7 it does not say on the sticker. I tried to boot form a w7 recovery disk both 32 and 64 disk) and it is really slow, it asks for a keyboard type and then seems to do nothing.

Was wondering if there was a way to do a system restore form a dos prompt in W7?
any other suggestions?
Nothing on the machine that need saving.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

How old is the machine, 90% it has a bad HDD.

#3 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

a year old

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:29 AM

Was wondering if there was a way to do a system restore form a dos prompt in W7?

The answer to that is no.

There are ways to make recovery disks from a windows 7 computer, it creates a CD or DVD disk independent of the actual Windows 7 installtion disk, but the disk has to be made from a Windows 7 computer.

It is called a "repair disk" there is no way it will fit on a floppy disk, but it might work out on a flash drive, although I have never tried a flash drive as the source.

The disk can be made by using a windows 7 computer, look for the action center icon in the system tray and once the action center opens look for back up and restore on the left side menu.

Now look for "create a system repair disk" in the left menu.

Create the disk, transfer it to your problem computer and boot to it.

You can use the command prompt if you wish to treat things like MSDOS and do some DOS commands.

You can also access system restore as well.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 September 2011 - 03:31 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

i found and downloaded a 64 bit version of the w7 repair disk, i burned the ISO inserted and let it run,( which i tried previously, just though it had stalled) it took a long time for each step but finally got to where it gave me the choice to do a start up repair, which i did, it took about 2 hours "checking for errors", when it finished and it re-booted, problem resolved.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

There you go my friend, I am so glad it worked and that you are once again up and running again and I also want to thank you for coming back and letting us know what you did to solve the problem.

Happy computing my friend! :thumbup2:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users