Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion dv9000 will not start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jhornberger

jhornberger

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hello, I was given a HP Pavilion dv9000 in which the person said it no longer worked but no more info was given. I plugged it in (I have the HP Pavilion dv 6000) and all the lights on the keyboard come on but nothing on the screen. I thought it might be a screen problem so I plugged it into a monitor I have but there was still nothing. I have recovery disks for the HP and when I put them in they try to read the disk but nothing else occurrs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any time I have ever has a computer problem, I could see what was occurring on the screen so I am at a loss. Thank you.

Jay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

Hello jayhornberger and welcome to the forums.

Usually when people give things away, it is usually because they got tried of fooling with it and passed it on to someone else.

Now you have the task of figuring out what went wrong when the previous owner owned it.

They have a better idea than you do, because it happened while in their possession.

There can always be the chance someone shorted out something on the motherboard that requires a part on the motherboard to be removed and re-soldered to the board.

There is not telling what could be wrong, but you are like me, you like a challenge and hey if it works, you have a new toy to play with.

Your problem is so common, it is unbelievable, no video symptoms are the most common computer problem plaguing most failed computer systems.

If the internal monitor is not working and an external monitor is not working, you have a definite internal component failure.

Hang in there while I look around the web for a Service Manual that you can download, those can come in quite handy, because they include the order numbers of all the parts that are built into your laptop.

Your laptop can be repaired if you want to fix it.

Be back shortly and I hope I find a manual for public download, I can get a service manual for any electronic device, its just some are copy-written to be used by licensed techs.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:35 PM

I am posting this link to the HP Pavilion dv9000 CTO Notebook PC, if yours is not the CTO version, then you will have to select the correct one from the second link down for the 9000t CTO or the 9000z CTO.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=1842189&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-001&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=1842186&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=us

This is your service manual link, you will notice to the left side of this web page linked to below that there is a pdf document, that is your service manual, there is a little floppy disk icon at the top of that window, click that and you will be able to save that service manual to your computer for access when ever you need it, it will be very helpful in your fixing this laptop.

http://www.freedocumentshare.com/docs/301/hp-pavilion-dv9000-service-manual.html

I am also providing more information from another laptop related web site I often use for laptop repair information. Every little bit of info you get, can go a long ways in doing repairs.

When you go to these two links below, please scroll down past the commercial links to view what I want you to see, the reason I ask you to do this, is because the commercial links are just the supporters of the web site, so please scroll down on each page below.

how-to-replace-broken-left-hinge-in-hp-pavilion-dv9000

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to-replace-broken-left-hinge-in-hp-pavilion-dv9000/

Free repair for some out-of-warranty HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario laptops

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/free-repair-hp-pavilion-compaq-presario-laptops-out-of-warranty/

You now have enough information to successfully fix this laptop yourself.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 jhornberger

jhornberger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

Thank you very much for taking the time for this. I will go through all of the information. My bosses adult son had it so he left it for her to take to the dump. It is so similar to mine that I just took it as various keys come off of my current laptop so I thought I would look into it. Thanks again. Jay

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:36 AM

The Problem with dv9000 laptops is that if it has AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU most likely the motherboard needs to be replaced unless you can find someone to reball the Nvidia video chip.

Those were the most troublesome in the dv9000 line of laptops. The ones with Intel CPU and Intel GPU were more reliable as they ran cooler. HP did release a updated bios to head of that problem which mainly changed the thermal profile for the cooling fan to help keep things cooler.

The way that the heat sinks clogged up didn't help.

You can search if you have the AMD & Nvidia combo for more details. I did try just for the heck of it using a small pen torch to reflow the video chip on one of those and it worked for a short time. The only permanent cure is to have it reballed unless it is Nvidia chip itself that went bad. Well known too.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

Yes you are correct Rotor123, that is why they offered the free repair for those motherboards.

Sad to see a whole run of those computers hit the market with that defect.

By the way, thanks for your input, always glad to share a thread with you. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

I still get customers bringing them in for no video. I feel bad for them since the HP extension for the motherboard has expired as far as I can tell. I won't even take them in for diagnostics since I'd have to charge for that.

If the OPs computer is one of the troubled ones he could spend some time pushing them to fix it. Every now and then that works. I also installed a repaired motherboard that seems to have held up that came from China. That took two tries since the first one worked for everything except the Optical drive port. I didn't fault them for that since they were working on video on a bare motherboard from who knows where and probably just fixed it and connected the bare motherboard to power and a screen and had video after the repair.

While they worked they were nice computers.

Edited by rotor123, 14 September 2011 - 09:28 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 jhornberger

jhornberger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

Thank you both for your help. Looks like it will be a costly issue as the motherboards are $100+ and this dv9000 was given to me. I already have a functioning dv6000 which works great. Not sure what to do with the broken dv9000. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users