Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Dos on XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wandrwiz

wandrwiz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

I have a dos based database program that I need for my business. Its been working fine all of these years on my laptop. I run Windows XP. The program is called Sentinel. For some reason,my hard drive messed up and I had to do a wipe and start over. Fortunately I had contracted Carbonite and had backed up my files. Yet for some reason, when the time came to run my Dos program I get a popup that says this: "C:|windows\autoexec.nt. The systemfile is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows applications".

When I originally set up my XP to run this program, I remember I have to go into the desktop PIF icon I set up to run the program and change a setting. It had something to do with autoexec.bat and config.sys or autoexec.nt or config.nt but I don't remember.

I am in need of accessing my program as I have some jobs coming up soon that requires the information I store there. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dave225

Dave225

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

The autoexec.nt file may be missing or corrupt?

On XP, autoexec.nt usually lives in the C:\windows\system32\ folder.

See this as a possible fix
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users