Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry cleaner deleted needed registry

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 out4trout

out4trout

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

Hi,
I used a registry cleaner program and deleted some of registry values that I should not have, and of course I did not same the backup prior to deleting. Now my laptop wont charge or recognize that there is a battery. what can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

Do a system restore from a restore point prior to using the reg cleaner.

#3 out4trout

out4trout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

if I have installed/uninstalled programs after that restore point, what will be lost?
Thank you!

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

Not sure. I've never used system restore. I turn mine off.

Worst case I would imagine is you have to reinstall which should be no big deal.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

Well...I think it depends on what registry values we are referring to.

Depending on the system and disks available to you...you may need to run the sfc /scannow command...attempt a repair install of Windows...or do a clean install to get the needed system files back where they belong.

If the registry values relate to an installed program...then reinstalling the software ought to take care of it.

System and manufacturer?

Onscreen error messages, exact wording?

Louis

Although you have already found out the following, this is our position on "cleaners, optimizers, etc.".

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Edited by hamluis, 12 September 2011 - 01:42 PM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

In the future, DO NOT use registry cleaners. They do absolutely no good and, as you've discovered, they cause problems. Meanwhile, see if the registry cleaner you used has an "undo" feature (many of them do).

#7 out4trout

out4trout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

lenovo T61 and there was an error message about the battery having a terminal error of some sort (didnt write it down). i restarted and the message went away, but the battery is not recognized by the computer anymore. windows xp pro. everything else seems to work fine. the only other problem i have seen is that when I restart or shut down a screen pops up asking if I should "End Now" the zone alarm program. I should have all the disks around here somewhere, so a repair may not be a bad idea....

#8 out4trout

out4trout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

I used winutilities. i just found the icon that said "rescue" and clicked the last registry scan. I will reboot and let you know what happened.

#9 out4trout

out4trout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

No dice with the "rescue" in Win Utilities. Should I go back to a restore point?
what is the risk there?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

No risk. Yes, if there is a restore point available use it.

#11 out4trout

out4trout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

error reads: "A battery error has occurred. The battery cannot be charged. Replace the battery."
But the meter also says that it is 81% charged.
i will try the restore point

#12 out4trout

out4trout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:55 PM

I get the message "your computer cannot be restored to ...."

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

Well, then you can try a repair install. Read and follow the instructions carefully:

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#14 out4trout

out4trout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

As I attempt to repair XP, I press enter to "set up windows XP now" and I get an error that Setup did not find any hard disk drives. I am following the instructions on the link you provided me above. What have I done wrong, or how do I go from here?
Thank you!

#15 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

You problem is because WinXP Installation Disc doesn't have SATA Chipset Driver and you need to slipstream / adding SATA Driver and create a custom WinXP Installation Disc.

You could use nLite

Here is guide for nlite.
http://www.nliteos.com/guide/
Please click on Main - Requirements - Part1 - Part2 - Part3 for furher reading :wink:

For Sata Driver, you could use read on Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers Guide and help for XP and W2k3 (32/64bit) and try use driver from Fernando.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users