Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rangebooster adaptor incompatible in windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SlowAcer

SlowAcer

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

HI,

I have just aquired another computer and it is running window 7. It started up okay and I installed the D-Link Rangebooster WUA-2340 adaptor and it connected to the internet okay. But when I shut the computer down and restarted it, it froze at 'starting windows'. So I turned the computer off and started it up again. I let it run through the startup repair and done a restore, and when I start it up again it starts okay (now without the adaptor installed). I have assumed the adaptor is the problem. The adaptor has worked fine on two previous computers, running XP. Has anyone else come across this problem? Can anyone help me overcome this problem?
ps I have a limited computer knowledge - so please don't get too technical!

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

Did you install the adapter using the latest drivers from D-links website? If not that's where I'd start.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

The web is full of complaints on this particular adpater not working in Win 7. Some get it to work and others don't. With that said, The Win 7 comparability guide says it's not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit operating systems, but is for 32 bit systems. Link here: Windows 7 Compatibility Center.

D-Link has been quoted as saying it's not compatible, with either Win 7 OS. That being said, some have been successful porting over Vista drivers to Win 7 32 bit machines.

In other words, YMMV.

EDIT: Adding link to latest available drivers : ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/wua2340/Drivers/wua2340_drivers_150.zip

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 SlowAcer

SlowAcer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the advice and link. I will try it next time I have to shut the computer down. For your information I am using a 32 bit system.

#5 SlowAcer

SlowAcer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:10 PM

Just to let everyone know. I installed the drivers from the link supplied by Animal and it has solved the problem. I shut the PC down and restarted it again and it went through the startup process without a glitch - Happy days!

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

Thank you for letting us know you had success. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users