Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to create Recovery Disk with corrupted system?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Genna's ACER

Genna's ACER

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

My daughter's ACER laptop (Aspire 5100 with XP Professional), purchased in 2006, was very sloooow. She received not system or recovery disk when she purchased and she never made a recovery disk.

Yesterday she contacted ACER Support and they directed her to a tech service. She spent 6 hours online, and on the phone, with a service tech (from India) who took control of her computer, scanned, repaired, deleted, etc. After restart, she lost the ability to connect to the internet (by wireless or hard wire). Her computer indicated the she's connected but she can't get online ('Unable to Display Page' or similar error message).

She went to her e-Restore Manager and it won't open.

We'd like to reformat her computer. She has no data of any value and want to wipe it completely and start fresh.

Can anyone tell me (us) how to obtain a recovery disk - help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

As far as a recovery disc is concerned, you'll have to contact Acer. Alternatively, you can purchase an OS disc and do a clean install.

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:08 PM

Can anyone tell me (us) how to obtain a recovery disk - help?

Sorry to read of your misfortune - or to be more specific; your daughters.

Since the machine is probably out of warranty anyway (and suppport is probably not free), why not just go with a custom install? Obtain XP install media (either borrow it from a friend or acquire it by other means), all the drivers needed from ACER support site, the key from M$ off the COA sticker on the bottom of (I assume) the laptop and install. You may have to phone Microsoft for validatition/activation, but it would sure beats the he** out of dealing with ACER support. My wife has an ACER. It is a great machine, but their support desk is a pain.

Check your inbox. Please keep the thread updated with any successes or failures.

Edited by bludgard, 12 September 2011 - 12:10 PM.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

sorry allen. I was a little long in the posting.... :lol:

#5 Genna's ACER

Genna's ACER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the response Allan and Bludgard. We contacted ACER and based on the age of machine and OS, they longer provide recovery disk. Was thinking of a clean or custom install but one of the IT guys at the office said finding and installing the drivers could be problematic (at least for someone like me who's not tech savy - ouch)?

I found online for $84 the MS XP Professional w/SP3 - full version. Seemed reasonable so I was gonna purchase and install, until being told about the drivers. This same IT guy suggested this site... he said you guys were wizards and might be able tell me how to generate a recovery disk.

Whadaya think?

Can I go to the ACER site, download them to a CD, and then install them on the ACER laptop after a clean install?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:58 PM

Does the system currently have XP Home or Pro installed?
What does the sticker on the bottom of the system say and is the installation key legible?

Pro is thorny but with home you can use any original XP cd and the key from the underside of the computer to reinstall. Go to the ACER site for drivers. Make sure to install the chipset first if needed.

You might want to go to device manager and make a list of the audio, video, network and modem drivers listed so you know which ones to get. If I were at my office system I could link you your drivers but it should not be hard to find on the ACER site.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:34 AM

Does the system currently have XP Home or Pro installed?

Pro is thorny but with home you can use any original XP cd and the key from the underside of the computer to reinstall. Go to the ACER site for drivers. Make sure to install the chipset first if needed.

What do you mean Pro is thorny? It's the same OS as Home. No difference in installation or drivers.

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

Go to the ACER site for drivers. Make sure to install the chipset first if needed.

You might want to go to device manager and make a list of the audio, video, network and modem drivers listed so you know which ones to get. --- Eyesee

Drivers for Aspire 5100
: http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_5100.html

Regards,
Brooks

#9 Genna's ACER

Genna's ACER
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

Changed Boot order in BIOS and was able to reload OS and new drivers from ACER support site. Computer now runs for ~30 minutes and then shuts down. Won't restart until computer cools down. Suspect hardware problem with processor has been the problem for some time... have retired the ACER.

Thanks much for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users