Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jeopardy98

jeopardy98

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

I didnt know where exactly to post this, so i appologise if its misplaced.
my flashdrive reads just fine in my pc but when inserted into my wifes gateway laptop it reads ' drive f is not formatted'
I dont want it formatted as it was data on it. I tried another flashdrive which is empty and formatted and it says the same thing. It seems any flashdrive i plug into the usb on the laptop says the same message?
Im not sure exactly which model gateway it is as i cannot find model info on it? it was refurbed but i have had it for a 2-3 years with no problem. It runs win XP. I tried looking on gateways help center but no luck and tried a few things i found through google but still no luck!
You have all helped me before, i believe in you all. thanks in advance for any suggestions

I realize this thread is 2 years old and I apologize for bumping it up but it is the most relevant thread I have found in all of my searches around the internet.

I am having this exact same issue running Windows XP 32 bit on my work laptop. The problem just began about a week ago. All USB ports are functioning with any device besides a flash drive. The same flash drives function perfectly in other computers. So far I have tried the following:

-removing all usb drivers/root hubs/mass storage devices
-removing usb and usbstor entries from the registry
-disconnecting any mapped network drives that might share the drive path with the flash drive
-manually assigning a new drive path that has never been connected to this computer (e.g. R:\)
-running malware bytes, combo fix, and ad-aware- no threats found

I am a school teacher and cannot possibly function without the use of my flash drives. Any suggestions or help that you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 12 September 2011 - 10:21 AM.
Split from old topic, sent PM to new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jeopardy98

jeopardy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

Anyone?

#3 jeopardy98

jeopardy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

So frustrated. I can't access anything on my flash drives or my portable HD and I need lots of stuff for the beginning of the school year. Does anyone have any ideas. This seems to be a common problem but no solution that I have found seems to work.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

From my experience fixing a Mainboard that couldn't read an USB Flash Drive but could recognized USB Mouse / Keyboard.
Fixing it will be need a lot's of method to use as sometimes it work and sometimes it not working.

The problem is between your Operating System or your Hardware (Mainboard / BIOS).

Do you could create a Bootable USB on another Computer and try to Boot your Computer from that Bootable USB? if yes please give it a try and see what happen.
If you could Boot from that Bootable USB that means your problem is at your Operating System (WinXP).
If you couldn't boot from that Bootable USB that means your problem is at your Hardware and it could be at your USB Ports or your BIOS.

Please give a try from trying boot from USB and see what happen.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 jeopardy98

jeopardy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

Thank you so much I will give it a try and report back.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

Okay.
Please tell what happen after you try to boot from USB.

#7 Dave225

Dave225

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

Do you have any other device plugged into ANY usb port?
Mouse is usb or PS2 ?

Did you recently add a new printer on USB or other USB device?
If so, remove all USB devices ( except the mouse ) and see if the USB drive is seen correctly.

#8 jeopardy98

jeopardy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

Do you have any other device plugged into ANY usb port?
Mouse is usb or PS2 ?

Did you recently add a new printer on USB or other USB device?
If so, remove all USB devices ( except the mouse ) and see if the USB drive is seen correctly.

All other USB devices work correctly, yes. It is a laptop so no mouse. No other devices are connected.

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

Almost forgot. Could you tell about your Laptop Brand and Model on your next post?

#10 jeopardy98

jeopardy98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:26 PM