Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Large Text While On-line / White Desktop Background

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Connell

Rob Connell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:04 PM

I just had a rather frustrating but successful battle with spyaxe. Although I won, I have some remaining problems. The primary issue is that when I am online, some web pages open with extremely large text while some others open up in a normal / regular size. The second (not as important) problem is my desktop background is completely white. When I go through start up procedures the initial / selected destop background comes on screen, but within the final sequence this changes to solid white. The icons are present but have a weird blue shadow. Thanks in advance for any help,

RC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

Hi Rob

This fix is only for XP & Windows 2000

Download and Save Cleandesktop to your computer from this link: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/cleandesktop.exe and double click on the cleandesktop.exe

It will automatically extract to c:\desktopclean where it needs to be to run and will automatically run the cleandesktop.vbs script

If it doesn't open then go to c:\desktopclean and double click on the cleandesktop.vbs Do not run any other file from there please unless asked to

If you have script blocking enabled you will get a warning about a malicious script wanting to run. Please allow this script to run. It is not malicious.

If you get a message when you first run it "Can not find script file "blah blah blah" then don't worry just doubleclick the cleandesktop.vbs script again you sometimes get that message when a script blocker blocks the script

It will then kill Explorer. You will lose your taskbar and desktop. It will repair the registry entries returning your normal desktop and context menu functions.

It will restart Explorer.

Once you have performed the big cleanup, each of the other Users on the System needs to be signed in to clean up their desktop and regain the right click.

I have included another vbs to do this. It is named Other Profiles Regfix.vbs

Have each User sign in and run Other Profiles Regfix.vbs
Open C:\ (Go to Start>Run and type C: Press enter) and Open the c:\desktopclean folder. Double click on Other Profiles Regfix.vbs

Explorer will be ended and that user's active desktop registry entries will be repaired. Explorer will be restarted.

To restore the desktop to whatever picture you normally have right click on a blank part of desktop & select properties/desktop & select your prefered picture press apply & then ok to exit and then press F5

You will need to do this step for every user account

I'm no too sure about the 2nd problem. When i have big text on my screen i use my mouse. Do you have a scroll wheel? If so, go onto one of the pages with large text and hold down the control button then scroll up and down with wheel on the mouse to change the font size to one you want. Does this help?

David

#3 Rob Connell

Rob Connell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:52 AM

Hey,

I followed your instructions and everything works fine now. The large text solution was on the money but different as I dont have a mouse (laptop) and appearantly I used the scroll bar by accident. Thanks a lot you were right on the money. Take care,

RC

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:14 PM

Ok, i'm glad i was able to help :thumbsup:
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users