Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning twice to one hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

A good bleepin' day to all. First, my specs in case they're not accessible via my profile:

Operating System:
Win7 x64 Home Premium SP1
Antivirus Software:
Comodo Internet Security
Firewall:
Comodo Internet Security
Computer:
Custom
CPU:
Intel Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz
Motherboard:
Gigabyte G31M-S2L
Ram:
DDR2 4GB (2 sticks of 2GB)
Storage:
WD150 GB, 250 GB secondary drive
Video Card:
Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Case:
Ultra Mid-Tower

My question is, I have a spare HDD laid away for safekeeping. When I did a clean install of W7 on the HDD currently in my computer, I cloned (sector by sector clone, not a backup) it to my spare HDD. I'd now like to clone (again, clone, not back up) my currently used HDD again, now that I have a lot of good programs on it, in case of failure. I do back up regularly, but for ease of access and not restoring an image, I'd like to also clone it for good measure.

The second HDD which already has a clone of the W7 clean install -- if I make a new partition, could I clone my currently-used HDD to that same second HDD? Would doing so harm what I currently have cloned to that drive (the clean W7 install) in any way? IF I get a "yes, you can do that," would I be able to boot from either partition on that second HDD, that is, either the current clean install partition, or what would be the new partition with the new clone of my current drive?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

You can do that, but rather than "clone" just create an image. I assume you are using imaging software. I keep as many as 4 images of each partition on backup drives.

#3 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:32 AM

Yes, I've been using the built-in W7 backup/image, but I also have an older, free Acronis for WD drives. But since I've never had to restore from an image, I'd be afraid to try it. I "can" try it, should my primary HDD fail, but I'd rather have a total clone so I could just swap out the drives. But if you think that's not a good idea (partitioning the spare drive for a second clone and cloning to the spare drive, I'll do the image. Thanks a lot.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

I've been using Acronis True Image for many years and ONLY use the "imaging" function. I've restored doens of times - nothing to it and there's nothing to be afraid of.

#5 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Thanks a lot. This is an old free version for WD drives as I mentioned, v. 13.0.0.14010 ... hopefully it will be as easy as the paid version. Thanks for the reassurance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users