Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro. turns off

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 smelser7

smelser7

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

Windows will begin to start up and then turn off.some times I can sign in and it will get all the way to loading my programs and then turn off.It seams that if I remove the power for some time it will get farther into the boot but still turns off.I tested the power supply and redid all the connections.It is still turning off.It just started one day, I found the comp. off and now it will not start.

Mod Edit: Merged topics ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2011 - 07:23 AM.
Moved to Internal Hardware from XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:56 PM

Hello Smelser7 and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Can you please post the make and model number of your computer?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 smelser7

smelser7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

The computer is a Dell Dimension 2350.Thanks for the response, hope you can help.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for your reply, your Dell computer should have come with a Service Tag can you please post that in your next reply?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 smelser7

smelser7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:07 AM

The service tag is 4352L21.Express service code 8897046553.Hope this helps. Thanks

#6 smelser7

smelser7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

I have a Dell Comp. that will begin to boot up and the it just powers off.I have checked the power supply And reset all the connections.I have tried to start it with just the mother board and the Hard drive plugged in and it did the same thing.I posted this topic before but stopped Getting any replies.Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Edited by boopme, 19 September 2011 - 09:34 PM.
Moved from Startup Database to WIN XP

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:44 AM

It sounds a lot like a CPU overheating problem to me at first glance: The heat-conducting layer applied between the CPU and the heatsink may have deteriorated or been broken.

Can you boot into the BIOS Setup Menu and navigate to the hardware monitor section and check the temperature for the CPU that will quite likely be displayed there? Post the temperature reading that you see.

Can you boot into Safe Mode? Start tapping the appropriate key (probably F8) after powering on to get to the Windows Advanced Options Menu and then choose to start in Safe Mode. This doesn't stress the CPU as hard as booting Windows normally and you may be able to operate in Safe Mode. Let us know if you are successful.

If it is an over-heating problem, I advise that you do no more than necessary to diagnose the problem ... so that you minimise the risk of damaging the CPU by overheating.

Edit: I have requested that this topic be merged with your earlier one on the same issue. I apologise on behalf of BC and Mr Bruce about neglecting your topic. In future, feel free to PM any staff member if you are neglected and they will rally the troops to aid you.

Edited by AustrAlien, 20 September 2011 - 06:47 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:46 AM

And how far along in the boot process does it shut down?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

I posted this topic before but stopped Getting any replies.Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Hello and I want to say that I am sorry that I lost track of your topic, I was concentrating my on line time to my studies in the MRT study hall.

I apologise on behalf of BC and Mr Bruce about neglecting your topic. In future, feel free to PM any staff member if you are neglected and they will rally the troops to aid you.

Thank you for covering my butt and offering an apology on my behalf! :thumbup2:

You are also correct, a PM to me would have brought my attention back to this topic because I simply do not like leaving anyone I have been helping hanging on a string. :nono:

Smelser7, I will monitor this topic if the problem persists after trying what AustrAlien suggested above. :thumbup2:

Please feel free to PM me if I do not reply within 24 hours. :wink:

Bruce.

#10 smelser7

smelser7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

I tried to boot the comp. and I selected Guest.The thing all most booted up completely and then turned off.I tried to start up in Bios but I Couldn't Figure it out.I looked on line and I think they were saying to hit F1 or DEL.I couldn't get it.I think that you may be correct about the over heating.When I took the front cover off there was a lot of junk blocking the air holes.If I disconnect the power cord and leave it for awhile it seams to get more into the boot.If I leave it connected it seams to turn off faster.Please let me know what you think I should do next?
Thank You

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

Hello as I stated above, I would monitor your topic and would continue offering you my support.

First to enter your BIOS utility, all Dell computers use the F2 key on the keyboard to enter the BIOS setup utility.

Here is a tutorial from Bleeping Computer that explains proper procedures for cleaning out a computer case.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

#12 smelser7

smelser7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

I have found the problem!!! When I removed the cooling fan cover I found that there is an aluminum Part that looks to be cooling fins.The plastic holder for this part somehow got broken.The metal clips that hold this part in had come loose.I reinstalled the cooling fins and all is well.
Thank You for all the support.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

Glad to see you solved the problem and as I see it, AustrAlien hit the nail on the head, because he suggested that you concentrate your efforts on your CPU. :thumbup2:

That is what "teamwork" is all about my friend! :wink:

Happy computing!

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users