Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oneiric Ocelot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 macrip3

macrip3

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:32 AM

Anyone know the minimum system requirements? I would like to update when it becomes available?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:42 AM

mac check out
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

mac, even though the link is for system requirements for 11.04 from what i have read should be the same for 11.10
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#4 macrip3

macrip3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

I have been thinking about getting two of the same computers. Installing a Ubuntu in one and windows in the other. Which one would be better deal in terms of performing tasks?

#5 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:26 AM

mac depends on how much you want to spend i ran win7 on my desktop had 4 gigs of ram(i had a separate hard drive for win7. i would recommend that you have at least 6 gigs of ram and a fast processor for win7. ubuntu should run fine on the specs i cited earlier. your call.
also you could do as i did and just buy one computer and get a separate hard drive for win7.
you could get a portable 1 tera hd for under $100

Edited by rburkartjo, 12 September 2011 - 08:28 AM.

#6 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:09 AM

Mac, I you are asking which OS is better in terms of tasks I would say that can go either way. Linux doesn't have very good WiFi support so is this a laptop or desktop? Linux is more secure, but requires alot more user involvement sometimes when it comes to getting things done.

The open source software for Linux (LibreOffice) is way better than Microsoft's I think. Its is intuitive and you can select multiple formats to save it in. It is even compatible with some versions of Windows.

My girlfriend is a photographer. She uses Gimp (Open Source for Linux). It serves her well but I have heard some people say that Adobe Photoshop definitely has its benefits.

I tried to run Instant Immersion (language tutorial software) in Ubuntu, even with WINE. I was disappointed. So software and some window's exclusive software may be an issue if you decide to go with Linux.

Have you considered Dual Booting with both windows and Ubuntu? That way you don't have to have two different computers. a big hard drive is cheaper than two computers. or an external hard drive like Rburk said.... If you are familiar with windows maybe you should try a linux Live disk before buying new equipment to see if you even like it.

#7 macrip3

macrip3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

Windows just seems too slow for me. I hate waiting longer if I do not have to.

#8 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

mac why not cut down on the programs that start with windows this will speed it up. did that with win7 and that helped a lot
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Stop-a-program-from-running-automatically-when-Windows-starts

#9 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

Mac: have you tried a disk clean up and defragment? That might clean it up a bit? What is you OS? Processor? RAM?

mac why not cut down on the programs that start with windows this will speed it up. did that with win7 and that helped a lot
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Stop-a-program-from-running-automatically-when-Windows-starts

I did this to my sister's Hp with Win 7 and it made a HUGE difference!

#10 macrip3

macrip3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

I had windows 7 on it with a 3.2ghz processor, 1GB Ram, and 160GB Hard Drive. Windows took soo long for stuff to open.

#11 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

mac here are the requirements to run win7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/system-requirements
looks like you had them
i also thought that win7 ran slow when i had it installed

#12 macrip3

macrip3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

It ran really slow when I had it. I switched to Ubuntu. It suits my needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users