Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The database engine is corrupt

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Angus_McAngry

Angus_McAngry

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

Hi there, stuck with this problem for weeks . I have been unable to uninstall Jet 4.0 because it doesn't appear on the list of programs and I don't know how to do it manually. All the files on the system are more up to date than anything I can find to download on microsoft . The install gets stopped by windows whenever I try. I have downloaded Jetcomp but I don't know what to point it at . All of this in order to rebuild a music library for mediasource player! The vendor of which is of no help. They just point the finger at windows. I have tried importing the database from windows media player but it didn't take. Also deleting the windows media player database and importing the rebuilt one. But that also failed. This is so much fun ! what am I going to do for enjoyment when this is all sorted out , I really don't know ? ha ha ha ha ! :woot:
Post script; XP sp3 auto updates all done .

Edited by Angus_McAngry, 11 September 2011 - 06:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:57 PM

Hi Angus -
This is a problem that several people have (uninstall Jet 4.0) and it has no simple answer that I have yet found. However these 2 items may help in some way.

You can remove it if it's in the Add/Remove programs Control Panel applet.
Otherwise, there is no un-install mechanism.
Paul ~~~ pclement@ameritech.net
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

This we already know - However you can try this if you wish (but you need to reinstall XP updates again.

You can uninstall XP SP3 and see if that fixes the problem.
But there is an important security update included with SP3, so at some point you need to get SP3 on your machine.
To re-install SP3:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/

This may be of some help -

Thank You -

#3 Angus_McAngry

Angus_McAngry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:29 AM

Hello friend thank you for the reply . Can you tell me how to uninstall sp3 please?

#4 techsupp

techsupp

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

Hello friend thank you for the reply . Can you tell me how to uninstall sp3 please?

GO to add remove programs in control panel and you will see one of the programs as Service pack 3 just uninstall it

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:04 AM

Hi McAngry -

Do you need more help with this -

Thank You -
EDIT -
My XP SP3 is about the last program in Add / Remove in Control Panel -
Right click on it and select Remove -

Edited by noknojon, 12 September 2011 - 06:10 AM.

#6 Angus_McAngry

Angus_McAngry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:10 AM

Techsupp thank you my friend, may I ask , have you tried that yourself? i'm not sure about your pc but there is no option to uninstall sp3 on my machine . Do you know another secret more tekkie way perhaps?
Or do you know where to point the Jet comp utiliy and we can at least give that a go , it's already installed I just don't know where or which directory to point it at . Thank you for your help .

#7 Angus_McAngry

Angus_McAngry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:13 AM

noknojon! hello friend only just saw your post . Yes I am still struggling I'm afraid . What can we do ?

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

it's already installed I just don't know where or which directory to point it at
I have been unable to uninstall Jet 4.0 because it doesn't appear on the list of programs and I don't know how to do it manually.

If it has been uninstalled already, what is the exact problem.

Thank You -

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:19 AM

Have you been to Add / Remove in Control Panel and attempted to uninstall SP3 yet.
This will give you a clean slate to work on. Then you reinstall all M/soft updates and it should be OK -
Use the link I left or there is a link at the top of this area for XP SP3 -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic146857.html Link for SP3 from BleepingComputer

Edited by noknojon, 12 September 2011 - 06:23 AM.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:28 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239114
This is the link to Re - install Jet 4.0, and it contains mostly simple instructions (easy to follow)
Please read this and then post back -

Thank You -

Edit - Click on F5 to refresh the page every few mins to get the latets posts.

Edited by noknojon, 12 September 2011 - 06:30 AM.

#11 Angus_McAngry

Angus_McAngry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:04 AM

i'm not sure about your pc but there is no option to uninstall sp3 on my machine . Do you know another secret more tekkie way perhaps?
Or do you know where to point the Jet comp utiliy and we can at least give that a go , it's already installed I just don't know where or which directory to point it at . Thank you for your help .

I am still stuck . no uninstall option . can we try jet-comp.exe if you know where to aim it ?
thank you very much .:)

#12 Angus_McAngry

Angus_McAngry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

I tried the sp3 uninstall tool from m/soft but it didnt work it said cannot find file specified then sp3 was not uninstalled. It is on there plain as day .

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hi again -
First please follow the link I will leave to determine if you do have XP SP3 installed.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/servicepackxp.htm
This will now ensure that you do have SP3 and we can go from there -

Thank You -

#14 Angus_McAngry

Angus_McAngry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

Yes SP3 :thumbup2:

Attached Files

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

Here is my shot of SP3 in Control panel -> Add Remove
If I click once on SP3, then in the bottom Right side it says Remove. Click on that and then you click Next
This will then remove only the Service Pack and not XP system.

EDIT - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249 Microsoft link to remove SP3 - Only look at options 1 and 2 -
You may also need to turn off your Antivirus only while you are doing this, and then turn it back on.

Edited by noknojon, 12 September 2011 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users