Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting new everything

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ashton_r

ashton_r

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

Okay so I just wiped my laptop because it wouldnt play a game, maybe because of the antivirus, I don't know. But it's done. What I want to know, before I download ANYTHING, what are good programs to download to help protect/run my laptop efficiently? I want to play games and just do the usual browsing. I havent downloaded or installed anything at all, besides critical windows updates. One thing I will download before I get a reply is a game called mabinogi, and it's perfectly safe and I know I want it for a fact. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. Opinions or facts are greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:56 AM

If this was a reformat and clean install, after installing the OS do the following:

1) Install all drivers starting with the chipset driver
2) Install a GOOD anti virus app (there are plenty of good ones - any input you receive will all be subjective). I use Kaspersky AV. Avira and Avast are good free alternatives. MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware are the best anti-malware apps
3) Download and install all Windows Updates from Microsoft EXCEPT hardware updates. NEVER obtain drivers or hardware updates from Microsoft, only from the OEM websites.

#3 ashton_r

ashton_r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

Okay do you know any free antivirus software that isnt those two or AVG? I had them all at a point and it reallly affected my ability to play games. AVG went haywire mostly though. And before, I had Mozilla, but not sure if I should get it again because they update it way ahead of other programs, and it messed up alot of my downloads. Anything I can download to sort of "tune up" this thing? Like improve performance or just plan keep it in good running condition.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

I'm less interested in game playing than security. Avira and Avast are the two best free av's. I'm sure other folks here will be able to answer your question better than I.

As for Mozilla - I assume you mean Firefox. Why do you keep updating it? Just find a version you like and stick with it for a while. I still use 3.6 and am very pleased.

As for "tuning it up" - unless you need more ram just leave it alone. Anything you do is more likely to cause problems than fix them. And as for maintenance, you can do the following:

1) MOST IMPORTANT - use disc imaging software and create images on a regular basis to off-disc media. That way you will always have a safe haven.

2) Keep your av resident and updated at all times.

3) Scan with MalwareBytes and / or Super Antispyware on a regular basis.

4) Defrag every now and then.

5) Don't have more programs load with the OS than you need.

6) Employ "smart computing" (don't visit questionable websites, never open email attachments unless you are certain you know what they are, never download anything from the web unless you are certain you know what it is and that it is "safe", etc.).

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:08 AM

I and many others use this.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx
Allans point # 6 is a must. Nothing will keep you safe if you don't use the internet wisely.
IMHO Windows 7 doesn't need or want any 3rd party tune up programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users