Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Personally Refurbished Dell can't install Constant Guard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 InuYasha

InuYasha

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

I wanted to install Constant Guard (from Comcast) on my Dell Desktop (Service Tag: 38JSL21) that I refurbished myself, but it said that I didn't have enough RAM. I have 512MB RAM running Windows XP, and Constant Guard says I have 511MB and can't install it.

Is there a way for me to trick this software into thinking that I have enough, without physically upgrading my RAM? I pray!

Any insight is appreciated!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

here's the forum for cg
sounds strange... like, some ram is in use, yes, but constant guard must really need that 1mb ram (it says 512 minimum.
can you go with another security option?

#3 InuYasha

InuYasha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

here's the forum for cg
sounds strange... like, some ram is in use, yes, but constant guard must really need that 1mb ram (it says 512 minimum.
can you go with another security option?

If you have some recommendations for free security suites that I could use, that would be great.
Posted Image

#4 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

i use avira for antivirus, and zonealarm for firewall.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:08 PM

You should be glad you cannot install the Constant Guard Suite.

There have been numerous issues reported by people who have installed it. To be fair the Constant Guard portion can be uninstalled, leaving Norton. The suite also installs the Comcast toolbar, which is flaky and has also caused problems in the past.

If you want Norton, you can still get the version without Constant Guard here http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

You can also head to the Comcast help forum and look for posts about Constant Guard and the problems it has caused for some customers.

http://forums.comcast.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users