Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random lockups and freezing.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JuiceboxJoe

JuiceboxJoe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

Ive had this issue going on for the past few months. My desktop will randomly lock up. There's no warning, no symptoms, one second it'll function fine, the next nothing. The screen locks, and the system goes completely unresponsive. The only way to free it up is to reset it. Another symptom that's started happening recently is the monitor will shut off when the system freezes.

Ive updated the bios on my motherboard, heres the mobo, cpu and vid card specs:

ASUS Striker II Formula LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
4 GB Kingston HyperX 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
750 Watt PSU
Ge-force gtx 285

Current running windows 7

Ive run memtest and came up with no errors, Ive swapped out vid cards, tried rolling back drivers, re-seating the ram, checked error logs that always come back clean.

Does anybody have any suggestions, ideas or ran into this in the past?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

Do you hear any odd noises inside the computer when this happens? Also is there anything in particular that seems to cause this?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 JuiceboxJoe

JuiceboxJoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

No sounds from inside the computer. Ive noticed it happens more if I'm in a game, but it also happens when I'm working on a word document or after logging into windows.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

Try updating your video cards drivers. This is a custom built system I presume? Also make sue there isn't a lot of dust on the components in the case. Download speed fan and post your temps during normal use and during a game: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 JuiceboxJoe

JuiceboxJoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

The drivers are all updated.

Under normal Use:

Temp 1 24C
Temp 2 38C