Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Stops Outputting Through DVI Port

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 fdbryant3

fdbryant3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

I have an old Sager 8790 laptop that I've converted for use as a Home Theater PC. Among the many quirks of doing this is that the laptop will stop outputting a signal through the DVI port if for any reason it stops detecting the TV. Initially this was only a problem when I turned off the TV. I solved this by connecting the laptop to a HDMI switcher so it would appear there is always a signal whether the TV is on or off. Recently it started doing it again. Even if I connected directly to the TV the port might switch off, even if the TV is on. As I said this only the DVI port switching off. I can remote the computer and if I change the screen resolution it turns back on.

I am running Windows 7 (32-bit). The laptop uses an ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 chip. It is connected to the TV via DVI to HDMI cable (usually through a HDMI switcher). The TV is a Panasonic Viera TC-50PX14 (50" 720p Plasma TV). Another quirk of this setup is I have to use a resolution of 1776x1000 for things appear properly on the screen (on the actual 720 resolution thing look like 640x480 big, at least with this resolution it looks good even though there is about a half inch black border around the screen). The actual laptop screen has been removed but the Display Control Panel reports it is detecting 3 displays.

Anyway I would appreciate any thoughts any one may have regarding how I can get the computer to not shut off the DVI port or any other solutions you may be able to think up. At the very least does any one know how to set up a key combo to change resolution, then change back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users