Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Ram

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:55 AM

Hi all,
maybe a dumb question, can you add extra RAM via a USB plug in.
Have a computer with only 113MB RAM. Unsure how to add RAM internally and wondered if it can be done externally??
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:10 AM

No, RAM is a physical item on the motherboard - the only way to increase it is to add more (if it's able to be increased).

The confusion comes about because both RAM and storage capacity (your hard drive) are both rated in mB (megabytes) - but they're completely different things.

Also, 113 mB is an unusual number - where did you get it from?

What kind of PC do you have? What type of Windows does it use?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:49 AM

Hi John,
thanks for the quick response.
My son got a deal on a second-hand Packard bell.
The OS is WinXPhome, service pack 2.
Processor is AMD Athlon ™ 1.33GHz
112 Mb RAM.

I got the details from the System properties dialogue box.
Any information you can give regarding a RAM upgrade would be most helpful.
Geoff

#4 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

Whats your budget, you can spend anywhere from 40 dollars to 100 to get a great memory upgrade. Theres varying speeds with those prices, and were gonna need to find out wich type your ram supports.

Please go to lavalys.com and download everest home edition. Great free system information tool. After install, click motherboard > Motherboard and tell us what kind of motherboard you have. Preferably the name or make/model #

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:20 AM

Salo has a good sugesstion but the free version of Everest from the home web site is no longer available. Try the following..

Everest Home (hardware and software information)
Belarc Diagnostic Tool

I would recommend 512mb of RAM. On EBAY it will cost less than $100 USD. Not sure what that translates to in or Euro's. That is the easiest and best way to improve the reliability and preformance of your computer. If you can post the model number of your computer we may be able to detremine what type of RAM your computer uses. Either SDram, DDR, RDRAM. When you run Everest go to Computer>Motherboard>SPD>Memory Type and post what type of memory you have.

Good luck

Edited by acklan, 22 January 2006 - 01:35 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:55 AM

If you go to any of the major memory manufacturers like Corsair, GeIl, OCZ, Kingston, or Crucial, and enter your computer make, model, they will list your maximum amount of RAM, and what will be compatible with your computer.

As for the installation, I'll provide a link that will take you to a site where they explain step by step how to add or change the modules. You also might google your make and model for installation instructions, this would give the specific information you will need to open the case and access the modules.

The instructions are pretty clear, but there is one thing that I would add, and that concerns electrostatic discharge, before you handle any of the modules or motherboard you need to discharge any static electricity that you may have, this can be accomplished by touching a metal surface like that of your case. Do remember to unplug your computer and turn off the power to any peripheral devices, like your monitor, printer,... After you have finished the installation, your computer should recognize the new RAM automatically.

http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:05 AM

Hi Acklan, Salo, John,

Everest gives the following info:

Motherboard: MicroStar international
chipset: KM133A
RAM slots: 2DIMM
memory type: SDRAM

Motherboard info: MSI MS-6511(2PCI, 1AGP, 1CNR, 2DIMM, AUDIO, VIDEO)

I hope this is sufficient.
Many Thanks
Geoff

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:41 PM

I would replace your current RAM with two 256mb of 133mhz SDram. I would not go with 1-512mb stick because of the cost. It should save you $20-$30 on the cost.
I am patient and buy all my RAM off of eBay but you take the risk of buying bad RAM. You will pay more at an estore or from the manufacture but they will honor thier warranty if you should have a problem.

#9 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:22 AM

Hi Acklan,

Part Number: CT64M64S4D7E
Module Size: 512MB
Package: 168-pin DIMM
Feature: SDRAM, PC133
Configuration: 64Meg x 64
DIMM Type:
Error Checking: Non-parity
Speed: 133MHz
Voltage: 3.3V
Memory Timings: CL=2
Specs: SDRAM, PC133 CL=2 Unbuffered Non-parity 133MHz 3.3V 64Meg x 64

Would this one be ok??? Good price on Ebay!!

THanks
Geoff

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:20 AM

Have you checked the part number to be sure it is compatible? What was the price?

#11 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:57 AM

Hi Acklan,

how do l check if the part no. compatible??
10.00 + pp

Thanks
Geoff

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:01 PM

What is the part number listed in the auction? Is that a "Buy Now" price, or openning bid price?

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:07 PM

The CT... number is a Crucial part number (here's a link to the memory: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/PartSpecs....64M64S4D7E&cat= )

On this page is a link to the Crucial Memory Advisor ( http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.asp ) Use it, and the make and model of the HP to determine if this module will work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:44 AM

Thanks guys,
l checked with crucial website, the RAM was not compatible :thumbsup:
Went cheap too.
Oh well, i'll just keep on looking.

Thanks
Geoff

#15 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:30 PM

well actually you can take ur internal hard drive and turn it into ur RAM. u need a certain line of code, duh, to do it. i will find it and post it.

i dont know if u can do that with a external since its USB connected....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users