Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File and folder names are converted to all capital letters

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

On both of my computers running Windows 98, all files in any folder I open will have their names converted to all capital letters. This does not happen to files or folders located in the My Documents folder, but it happens to every other folder on the hard drive and any removable media. This started after I checked the "Allow all uppercase names" option in Folder Options, but unchecking this option and even formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows didn't solve the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

Well I can't say that I've noticed that option on Win98 as all my files on the driver were listed correctly. My WinME does that on quie a few files but I don't remember seening an option to turn it off or it I did it makes everything lowercase and I like the first letter to be uppercase on filenames.

Sorry I can't help you on this one?

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:49 PM

Even a reformat didnt fix it?
That cant be!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:01 PM

Two reformats didn't fix it. I had to reinstall Windows a second time a few days later.

If the file name contains more than one word and at least two words contain capital letters (such as My Documents or Temporary Internet Files), the file name will not be converted to all uppercase letters.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:28 PM

Is it 98 second edition?

I am finding info that if a file is moved in 98 original that the name converts to upper case and that it is a bug in 98 original.

Sure is weird though!

#6 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

One computer is running 98 Second Edition. The computer that had Windows reinstalled is running 98 Gold with the Unofficial Service Pack 2 (required for the USB mass storage drivers I am using).

Edited by lti, 15 September 2011 - 06:39 PM.

#7 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:39 PM

I honestly am just as confused as Keithuk and Eyesee on this one.

It is a long time since I have used WIN98SE on the Net but, like Keithuk, I have noticed similar things on other Versions of Windows, particularly with XP Home and just wonder if it could be related in any way?

In the interest of knowledge, I am hopeful that Iti would be willing to try an experiment just to see if the following may apply towards this.

In the heyday of WIN98SE the following never applied, not in today's World just maybe? Best way to find out is to experiment with an open mind.

In the heyday times WIN98SE was known to temove problems with just a simple reformat and reinstall. Savy Users usually partitioned their HDD to create a Back Up File for all the revelant information, including a Copy of the WIN98SE Install Disk and ALL Drivers associated in the reinstall. Because all the Information was avaible from that Install Drive there was never a need to be searching for Disks at any time.

Modern day WIN98SE has several Problems, combined with lack of support by M$oft, forcing Users to attempt to find, usually by experiment, Programs that will work with their System. Same applies to Service Packs. Anti Virus Programs available to WIN98SE do not contain support for our Modern day Viruses, just MHO, instead rely on what is well known about WIN98SE recovery from a Virus. Simlarily people that write Programs may well not be aware that WIN98SE may well get confused by Modern Programing. This is my main concern and I hope my Peers will hear me out on this and join in, even if it sounds very unusual, I think it is worth discussing.

In the Modern World now it is well known that Hackers, M$oft and other OS Systems, Programmers and others can introduce simple Code within the CMOS to protect their programs. Such Code, even so tiny, can disrupt a reinstall Program, I have an opinion that this may have happened and just feaked out the WIN98 Programs involved.

Can we discuss it further?

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 15 September 2011 - 09:43 PM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#8 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:08 PM

In the heyday times WIN98SE was known to temove problems with just a simple reformat and reinstall. Savy Users usually partitioned their HDD to create a Back Up File for all the revelant information, including a Copy of the WIN98SE Install Disk and ALL Drivers associated in the reinstall. Because all the Information was avaible from that Install Drive there was never a need to be searching for Disks at any time.

Modern day WIN98SE has several Problems, combined with lack of support by M$oft, forcing Users to attempt to find, usually by experiment, Programs that will work with their System. Same applies to Service Packs. Anti Virus Programs available to WIN98SE do not contain support for our Modern day Viruses, just MHO, instead rely on what is well known about WIN98SE recovery from a Virus. Simlarily people that write Programs may well not be aware that WIN98SE may well get confused by Modern Programing. This is my main concern and I hope my Peers will hear me out on this and join in, even if it sounds very unusual, I think it is worth discussing.

In the Modern World now it is well known that Hackers, M$oft and other OS Systems, Programmers and others can introduce simple Code within the CMOS to protect their programs. Such Code, even so tiny, can disrupt a reinstall Program, I have an opinion that this may have happened and just feaked out the WIN98 Programs involved.

I reinstalled Windows on one computer using the recovery CD that was included with the computer. It formats the hard drive and copies a drive image onto the hard drive.

This computer has not been connected to the Internet since 2003. Malware can only travel through infected files on removable media that were not detected by antivirus software on a newer computer. These computers run old software that was designed to run on Windows 98. Modern software that is not designed to run on Windows 98 should not run at all.

If there was an infection in the BIOS or CMOS, I could remove the battery to clear the CMOS or replace the BIOS chip (I have an identical motherboard that does not work).

I think that the computer running Windows 98SE messed up because Windows has never been reinstalled. The combination of malware, improper software uninstallation, and 12 years of use are too much for Windows to handle. The other computer could be having issues due to the service pack and the modifications made to Windows by the computer manufacturer (Compaq).

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

I agree with DD that you should try an experiment.

What I would do is to use a 98 start up disk or a 98SE original cd an use fdisk to delete and recreate the partition then reformat the drive. Only caveat being if you have a drive greater than 64 gig you need the updated fdisk.

Then copy the cab files to a win98 folder and install from there.
Much like Windows 95, never install it from the cd.
Then install the drivers.

If it still does it my only other conclusion would be that it is possessed!

#10 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

I agree with the poscessed therory, but it could be logically found out.

If Iti will work with us, we just may find out? I suspect something, but I do need more Information.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

The computer that had Windows reinstalled is running 98 Gold with the Unofficial Service Pack 2.

I've never heard of 98 Gold if you Google this they talk about the Gold edition is another name for the original first edition though someone has made this book.

Windows 98 Secrets: Gold Edition

Windows 98 Installation Guide says

Please note that if Windows 98 Gold Edition is being used, you must have all the latest patches from the Microsoft website installed for the system to be USB compatible.

In my experience never try to do a reinstall any Windows version always format and do a fresh install because a reinstall causes more problems than it fixes.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#12 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

I think that is what Microsoft calls the first edition of Windows 98.

The recovery disc I used formats the hard drive.

I plan on reinstalling Windows on the computer running 98 Second Edition, but I don't have a Windows 98 CD. I don't want to reinstall Windows on the other computer just to solve this problem. That computer only has some files and folders with uppercase names.

#13 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

I beleving checking "Allow sll UPERRCASE letters" does just that,converts everything to uppercase (IF THATS THE WAY IT WAS ENTERED) which would explain why your seeing that.....

I wonder if doing a restore to BEFORE YOU HAD DID THIS,if it would have gone back to regular..... Hmmmmmm

#14 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

I plan on reinstalling Windows on the computer running 98 Second Edition, but I don't have a Windows 98 CD. I don't want to reinstall Windows on the other computer just to solve this problem. That computer only has some files and folders with uppercase names.

Keithuk certianly seems to have nailed it nicely. Using the Original Version of WIN98 with other Non-M$oft products has enabled you to get one Machine up and running for USB Recognitition and just one small Problem, that you admit, is no big deal.

If you refer to my Signature? "There is a saying, 'You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear' it means 'to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible'......DD saying"

You can quite Legally use the same Original Disk you used to set up your origional Computer before, to set up the other computer that is using WIN98SE, but it will be just the same as the other one, no features from WIN98SE.

That is just your own decsission. That is how it worked back then, Mate.

Ray

What is a Dog?

#15 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

The recovery disc I used only works on Compaq computers using a certain motherboard.

I have the software and driver disc for the other computer, which is bootable for use with the nonbootable Windows 98 CD. It replaces the floppy disk normally used for the installation process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users