Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP will not boot into normal mode after Avast! update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:05 AM

Hey, it's me again.

Here's the story. I got the blue Avast! notification telling me to update my version, so I did. It downloaded, and asked me to restart my computer to finish the update. I clicked yes, and everything closed and shut down as normal. Though the trouble started as Windows was booting up again. I saw a black screen telling me Windows couldn't boot up, and gave me the list of boot modes to try. I was reading, so it just tried to start normally again, leading to a blue screen. It went away quite fast, so I couldn't catch what it said. I let Windows try again, and it led me back to the black screen. I hit enter to go into normal mode, but it led to a blue screen again. This time, I caught "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", or if not that, something very close. Next, I tried booting into safe mode with networking, which is where I am now. I don't know what to do, as I want to get into normal mode, but I don't want to just waste my time booting around.

(by the way, the update seems to have worked, as I see Avast! WebRep in my Firefox header)

I would appreciate any help with this. :)

Beautiful avatar by Plumbeck!

Bury me in honor; when I'm dead and hit the ground, a love back home, it unfolds...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:49 AM

If an update to your AV triggered the problem...my guess would be that your AV is providing the problem drivers.

If possible, I would uninstall it...reinstall it and then update/scan.

Louis

#3 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

I uninstalled Avast!, had it reboot, and the PC booted into normal mode with no issues. I reinstalled it, had to restart, and I'm getting the blue screen again, so I'm back into safe mode... not sure what to do now.

Bury me in honor; when I'm dead and hit the ground, a love back home, it unfolds...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

I would uninstall Avast...and use a different AV, such as Avira (my choice) or MSE.

If the blue screens continue with a different AV, then we know which way NOT to focus :).

Louis

#5 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

Ok, I uninstalled Avast!, installed Avira, and everything is working smoothly. Thanks! :) I'm hoping Avast! will fix the update sometime.

#6 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

Makes me wonder, if it were truly an AVAST update ? This morning I also received an update notice for AVAST, but looking at it, something just did not look right, so I did not install it.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

If it weren't an Avast update...it would logically still be impacting system performance, IMO.

Malware does not tend to target a given application, from what I know...the effects are multiple and targeted at system performance and key system files.

Louis

#8 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

i've had problems with avast updating also, but not bsod. that's why i switched to avira.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users