Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are these strange files in MacOSX 10.6?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EmaWW

EmaWW

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:24 AM

What are the files listed below?

I found them in different locations. Can't figure out what they do. Finder does not (or can not) find and display them despite the fact they are not hidden!

Here are some of them:
-------------------------------
in preference panes:
fibre channel 1.7 - Finder can not detect it

startup items:
Description:BRESINKx86Monitoring
Finder can not detect it

FxLicenseManager
Finder can not detect it

in frameworks:
EAP8021X:
Location: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/EAP8021X.framework

tmp.53.FyMyi2
located in MacHD/private/var/tmp
(Probably orphan file)
--------------------------------
My Mac runs on OSX 10.6

Any tip from seasoned techies, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

If you could can you take a screen shot of the issue you are seeing in system preferences? Use grab in the utility folder.

As far as the others, what do you mean by finder cannot detect it?

This one:

tmp.53.FyMyi2

Is a temp file as it says. It should go away after a restart I would imagine if not it is an orphan file and most likely can be deleted. If any of these files are not causing any issues then I would leave them alone. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 EmaWW

EmaWW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:03 PM

"The finder can not detect them" means
that when I try to use Finder to detect and display them it can not do it.

For example, in /Library/StartupItems/ there is file named BRESINKx86Monitoring. I can see it when open StartupItems
but Finder can not.

Another example is file named
com.bresink.system.tempmonitor.plist.
It is in HD>Users>my account>library>preferences.

When try to use Finder to display it nothing happens, it is obvious Finder just can not find and display it!
I've tried any possible settings for finder - nothing happens. Finder is just not able find a large number of certain files (which are not only temporary ones).

I believe that anyone who wish to try may find this happens in their Macs -just try with some obscure files in both libraries - main one or one which is in personal account...
This is obvious failure of Finder.

Any idea about this and how to fix it, guys?

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

Do you mean you can see the files in Finder but not find them with spotlight? Other than finder and terminal, how would one see files? The Open File function of another program?

I have seen files in Finder that I couldn't get spotlight to list, but I don't remember what files. I retyped carefully to make sure it wasn't a spelling issue and meant to google on it but I forgot.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users