Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

REMEMBERING 9-11-2001

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:48 PM

This is an open topic for everyone to share and reflect upon that day of September 11 2001.

Where were you when you heard the news?

How were you or your family affected by the events that unfolded on that date?

Please share with us anything you care to share.

Thanks to everyone in advance who contributes to this thread.

Please no debates and keep it civil.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 September 2011 - 11:04 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:20 AM

I was a stay-at-home Dad. The kids were at school and my wife had reported to the county court house for possible jury duty. They don't allow outside distractions so no one was watching the news. After the second plane hit my wife called me on her cell phone to ask me to check on some work related issues. I didn't give her too much information, but told her to have the court room personnel check the news, that there was something important happening in NYC. After we hung up she spoke to them. They sent someone out to check on the news, then rolled in a television. They called off the session a few minutes after that.

My town has a substantial commuter population, so there was a major impact here.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:41 AM

Here is 17 videos from MSNBC.com

"9-11 America remembers"

At the web page listed below scroll down and click the image with the media arrow, all 17 videos will play one after the other.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/vp/44462897#/44462897

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 September 2011 - 04:52 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:11 AM

@ MrBruce1959,

You are an amazing bloke.

I really hope that this thread works out for you and I certainly want to share some thing from Down Under on this.

9/11 was a turning point in World History, that United the World.
Refer to Egyptian Crisis, Lybian Crisis and Turks/Israel face off. Countries are just saying "enough is enough", and are coming in to lend a hand.

The Fact is that these "Imbersiles", ( excuse my terminology, I could not think of a better word for some one that would think walking up to a Pride of Lions and punching the head Lion in the nose could ever expect to gain anything except Death?) killed 3000 innocent people from all over the World, not just America.

Since then the "Imbersiles" have watched many of their own Countrymen and women killed as a result.

Justice can be slow, but it is unmerciful.

I will post my recollections later.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:47 AM

I've many watched many dominatrices about 9/11 and every time i watch it, i have that sad feeling inside me. I feel the pain too, may god let these people rest in peace :(

Edited by killerx525, 11 September 2011 - 05:48 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

@ killerx525,

Can I say this honestly?

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbersiles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 11 September 2011 - 10:00 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:10 AM

Truely a sad day for everyone around the world. I hope that this event will live on in the peoples minds forever. This is truely a day to remember those who lost their lives to help others. It was the on day New York city and the rest of the world stood still.

I was in 1st grade on this day and I wasn't fully informed until the day ended, most of our teachers were told to be quiet about it but as we all know it is hard to keep quiet about something such as this and most had a general idea that something sever had happened.

We will never forget.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:16 PM

I was living in southern NJ @ that time working overnight, from 8 PM to 4 AM. I had worked the night before and had arrived home @ 4:30 AM, got to sleep around 5. I woke up at around 8:30 to go to the bathroom, then stepped out to my porch to have a cigarette before going back to sleep--as was my normal "routine"-- and remember thinking what a spectacular day it was, crystal clear blue skies & ideal temp, etc. When I went back to bed I put on the radio as was also a habit of mine and was tuned to "Imus in the morning" on WFAN sports radio. That's how I found out about the planes hitting the towers. Warner Wolf, who lived in downtown NYC close to the WTC had called in to Imus and was describing the horrific scene. I was watching Matt Lauer & Katie Couric when the second plane hit the South Tower and KNEW at that moment that the world had changed--for the worse--FOREVER.

I had worked at Dean Witter Reynolds 5 WTC office in the mid 80's and still had some friends who worked in the WTC complex and began frantically trying to get in touch with them and also my cousin, whose husband worked there too. I remember the phone lines becoming overloaded almost immediately after the 2nd plane hit the tower. I finally managed to get in touch with all my friends who were working there that day around mid-afternoon, thankfully they were all safe physically, but were understandably shaken emotionally...a few of them had seen some pretty gruesome stuff when they evacuated. One of my friends worked in 1 WTC above the "strike zone" & had just (the week before) had his hours changed from 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM start time...he calls himself Lou Gehrig the 2nd because every day he considers himself "The luckiest man on the face of the earth." Two firefighters I had gone to high school with in Brooklyn NY were among the 343 lost that horrific day.

Thank you for this excellent thread, Mr Bruce!:)

Edit to add: Just found this 10 minute clip Warner Wolf remembers 9/11

Edited by Union_Thug, 11 September 2011 - 01:42 PM.

#9 MegaDan5

MegaDan5

• Members
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

I remember I was in math class at the time the planes hit. I don't remember much after that.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

This morning Paul Simon played at ground zero. I thought it was very heartfelt.

Here's a 3 min time lapse video of ground zero construction from then till now. From the WTC webcam

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/worldtradecenter/

They lit the reflectiong pools last nite, they are awesome and will light the beams again tonight.

Some pics here and the 9/11 memorials here in NYC,DC and Shanksville

http://www.wcpo.com/gallery/news/news_photo_gallery/911-memorial-and-construction-at-Ground-Zero

The Lights

I'll get back here..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:05 PM

That is truly some beautiful photos you linked boopme.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:00 PM

Oaky I started the thread but did not share with you all with what happened with me on September 11 2001.

I was working at a food delivery warehouse here in Norwich Connecticut stringing cat5 cables through out one of their buildings to connect newly added offices to the main server.

Someone had a radio on in the warehouse and I could hear some of the broadcast from a distance and was wondering what kind of program the station was broadcasting.

As I walked by the radio to get some hanging hooks and wire ties, I could hear NBC Televisions Tom Brokaw discribing something about the North WTC tower was on fire and the South tower had just been hit by a commercial jet liner.

The more I listened, the more I realized, this was a real broadcast and I stood there stuck to the radio, listening to Tom Brokaw say "Oh, my God" "Oh my God" he was stuck for words, occasionally trying to describe what he was seeing.

I of course had to use my imagination, a radio has no picture screen, so I had to go by what words he was able to utter out to describe what he was witnessing on his television screens in the television studios.

I stepped out to get a few supplies from my vechicle and when I returned back to the location of the radio, I stopped for an update.

He was describing people were jumping from the towers from the floors above where the jet liners had struck both buildings, then to my amazment, he described one of the towers was collasping into a cloud of dust.

The south tower crumbled and fell to the ground in a mass of dust and daybree was flying everywhere, words were now mentioning, the Pentagon and a plain was lost near Shanksville PA, reports were sketchy, reports included mentions of the White House, the US Capital.

As time pased it was stated the North Tower also collapsed and so did several other buildings at Ground Zero.

It was not until 6:30 PM that evening before I was able to get home to a television set to see replays of what happend earlier that morning.

It was worst than I could have imagined.

My post may contain typos, please forgive that, it has been a long day for me I did attend several memorials today and took a bit of time to help in the hardware forums.

Bruce.

#13 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:42 PM

IIRC, I believe I was at school when it happened. I didn't even realize what was going on until the second class when my teacher said something about attacks, his son being in New York, and whatnot (his son was fine). Sad to say, it wasn't until a few hours after where it actually started to sink into my head that something worse than normal was going on.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#14 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

On that fateful day,I was on my way to pick up a child,I remember thinkin what a magnificient
day it was, so clear and bright, I had the radio on, at first i thought a small plane
had hit the twin towers, and thought oooo my,some poor pilot had a heart attack.....
When I got home, i took a nap.

It wasn't until I woke up, that I realized what had happened...I just stood in my livinroom
rooted to the floor, i just couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing, I was just
numb with shock and horror...slowly as the day went on i was filled with outrage,
as the phrase kept repeating over and over in my head " they used something so simple"
My world was forever changed, now i make sure that I know where every Fire house and
police station is on my route,just incase my precious cargo is in need of a safe place!
!
The Stair Well~~

Edited by MissPlaced, 12 September 2011 - 09:22 AM.

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#15 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

The Stair Well~~

:hug: