Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configuring 5.1 sound

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JodyVL

JodyVL

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hey guys...

So, I bought a cool 5.1 speaker system - "Goldship" is the brand - but discovered I'd bought a system meant to be plugged into a DVD. It came with only 3 cables, two sets of black and red points on each, which of course fit nowhere into my pc.

So I thought I'd be clever and buy three sets of cables with one pair of black and red points on one end, and a PC plug thingy on the other end.
This works to an extent: Only the green receiver recognises speakers. So now, I have the red and white points plugged into "AUX" and the other end into the green receiver, and all the speakers plus sub are working. But they are obviously not "real" surround sound, just 5.1 speakers acting as stereo sound.

So my question is, what driver program do I need to download to set my blue and pink receivers to recognise speakers. And also, in my Windows 7 sound settings, under Audio Channels, I have only one option to choose from: Stereo. The 5.1, and quadrophonic etc options I've read about online are simply not there. (?)

Many thanks
Jody

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:55 AM

Hello Jody and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Can you please post the make and model number of your computer, or the motherboard if that's possible.

Before you post that information, let me say that computers with surround sound capabilities such as mine have to be set up to use the audio inputs as outputs, this may sound strange when you first read what I just said, but this is common on High Definition Audio and Realtec AC'97 audio systems, the inputs are designated as outputs to create 6 audio outputs.

Once I know the audio properties of your motherboard, I can tell you how to setup the six channels needed to create quadraphonic audio or surround sound with a BASS cannon/booster included.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users