Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TFC not working?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Xezat

Xezat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

Not sure if this is the right place, but...

Anyways, I run TFC weekly to get rid of, well junky temp files and such, but when I tried running it yesterday, it hasn't been working for me at all whenever I run it, it just sorta sits there flashing and eventually errors out and stops working. Any reason why? About the only thing I've done recently is install another update for Vista, so yeah...kinda confused, anyone know what's up? That and for some reason after I shut down my laptop last night, when I booted it up this morning there's a bunch of odd transparent icons that look like they've came from the art albums normally connected with my mp3s, and something called desktop.ini, and they weren't there until I tried using TFC last night.

So yeah...anyone have any ideals?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xezat

Xezat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:18 PM

Mkay, bit of an update, I deleted the one I had saved on my computer and re-downloaded a new one and ran it, worked fine. But those odd transparent icons of jpgs and that ini file are still on the desktop...are those safe to delete at all, or?

#3 Xezat

Xezat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:02 AM

Still nothing? Can someone at least explain these odd transparent icons? They're also showing up when I go to owner as well, bunch of weird file names, and I swear they weren't there before.

#4 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

Greetings Xezat!

Two suggestions I can offer at the moment (in case you haven't already tried them) are:

1. Running a full scan with an anti-malware program, such as, Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware just to make certain you didn't happen to pick up any malware.

2. Try doing a System Restore to an earlier time (before your problems first began). Just remember to re-update Vista and any other programs/applications which have been updated since your issues began.

Hopefully, some other forum members may have additional ideas/options to offer. Do post back and let us know if either of the aforementioned options helped in any way. Also, can you please provide some additional info regarding your computer (brand, model, etc), RAM, security programs currently running on your computer, etc. This may help other members in narrowing-down what your problem(s) might be.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Edited by spc3rd, 13 September 2011 - 06:19 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#5 Xezat

Xezat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

Greetings Xezat!

Two suggestions I can offer at the moment (in case you haven't already tried them) are:

1. Running a full scan with an anti-malware program, such as, Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware just to make certain you didn't happen to pick up any malware.

2. Try doing a System Restore to an earlier time (before your problems first began). Just remember to re-update Vista and any other programs/applications which have been updated since your issues began.

Hopefully, some other forum members may have additional ideas/options to offer. Do post back and let us know if either of the aforementioned options helped in any way. Also, can you please provide some additional info regarding your computer (brand, model, etc), RAM, security programs currently running on your computer, etc. This may help other members in narrowing-down what your problem(s) might be.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Well it's not really a problem per say, it's just...weird looking. Definitely isn't malware as I've been running MBAM frequently, and I have Avira on as well. My only guess is something messed up when I ran TFC that one time and it timed/glitched out...I'll give the system restore suggestion a try, though I'm not sure it'll do much.

#6 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hi again Xezat,

If your computer screen is still showing those transparent icons you mentioned, can you please take a screenshot of it and include it with your next posting?

Thanks!

Edited by spc3rd, 13 September 2011 - 06:38 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

Something to check for the icons:

Open up My Computer from your desktop or Start menu.

At the top of the page click TOOLS.

Choose Folder Options/View tab.

Under Advanced Settings see if the following are unchecked. If they are, check them and click Apply.

Don't show hidden files, folders, and drives

Hide protected operating system files

When both of these are unchecked, hidden files will be visible. This is the first thing I thought of when I saw "transparent icons".

#8 Xezat

Xezat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

Hi again Xezat,

If your computer screen is still showing those transparent icons you mentioned, can you please take a screenshot of it and include it with your next posting?

Thanks!

Well I moved them to the recycle bin (was tired of looking at em after a few days), but here's some screenshots:

Some from the owner file:

Posted Image

Ones I moved originally:

Posted Image

Edited by Xezat, 13 September 2011 - 08:49 PM.

#9 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

Thanks very much for posting the screenshots, Xezat!

Have you tried the instructions which Queen-Evie mentioned in her post (if not, would you please do so now)? Did it do anything to help resolve the issues you are having? Also, did you try the System Restore I suggested? If not, would you please try that next?

Edited by spc3rd, 13 September 2011 - 09:27 PM.

spc3rd

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

The screenshot is very helpful.

ntuser.dat and desktop.ini are defintely hidden files.

Do not move them to the recycle bin just yet.

Please check your settings for hidden files and folders before you do anything with the files.

I don't know why they are showing up on your desktop. Someone else may be able to tell you. I have never seen ntuser.dat files on my desktop when I have enabled the showing of hidden files.

What Is Ntuser DAT File?
Every user profile created on a Windows operating system has an NTUSER.DAT file. A user profile contains personal files and preference settings that are specific to each user. For example, each user profile contains a unique Documents folder, Start Menu configuration, desktop properties, browsing history, etc.

Warning

Deleting a NTUSER.DAT file will delete a users preference settings and may corrupt the user’s profile. Because the NTUSER.DAT file is a system file, it’s normally locked in order to protect it from accidental deletion. Only a system administrator, logged into a user account that is different from the account that contains the NTUSER.DAT file you want to delete, and operating in Safe Mode, can delete a NTUSER.DAT file.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6697490_ntuser-dat-file_.html

Question

What is the Windows desktop.ini file and can I delete it?

Answer

The desktop.ini file is a hidden file used to customize and adjust settings for the Windows folders that contain the file.

Can it be deleted?

This file can be safely deleted from any directory. However, because this file may have settings associated with the folder that it contains and deleting this file will change these settings back to default. For example, if the folder containing this file has a different icon and you delete this file the default folder icon will be re-enabled.

Is this file a virus?

No. By default this file is not a virus. However, there have been a few known viruses that exploit the capabilities of the desktop.ini file. So it can be infected or if created by another program may have attributes that may compromise your computer. If you're concerned about this file being a virus, scan the file with an anti-virus program.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001060.htm

If a desktop.ini file is deleted it will be recreated the next time you reboot your computer and go to your desktop.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 September 2011 - 10:51 PM.

#11 Xezat

Xezat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:25 AM

Sorry for the late reply, got kinda busy...

Ok I did Queen-Evie's suggestions, guess they were hidden files as they disappeared from the Owner tab (kinda weird, as I don't recall ever messing with those settings that you listed to re-apply). The ones in the recycle bin became solid again, and I just clicked and hit restore on them and they went to...uh, wherever they came from with whatever hidden status they had.

So I guess everything's fine now, no need to bother with a System Restore? Really, I still dunno what happened, like I mentioned originally it all appeared when TFC froze during a weekly run, and there've been no viruses at all, so yeah.../shrug

Thanks for all the help again guys, best forum ever! <3

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:25 AM

I'm glad you got that resolved. Thank you for letting us know it worked.

You will probably never know how/why the files got set to show.

#13 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

Hi once again Xezat!

It's gratifying to know your problem is now resolved! As for doing the System Restore you asked about in your last post...it isn't needed, since your issues have been fixed, thanks to Queen-Evie's instructions.

[* @ Queen-Evie: Thanks very much for "picking up the ball" on this one & resolving the OP's issues!]

In closing, Feel free to return here in the future if you should have other questions or issues, Xezat! :thumbup2:

Regards,

Edited by spc3rd, 14 September 2011 - 08:22 AM.

spc3rd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users