Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Posted virus help request in wrong forum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve23

Steve23

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:06 PM

To the best of my understanding at the time (I'm new to the concept of forums as of today), I did I posted a detailing of my virus situation in the "Am I infected forum." Now that I am ready to upload logs, I see that these and the detailed description I previously posted belong in "Virus, Trojan, etc Logs" forum. So I have come to understand that my earlier post may have been a mistake. I am not sure what to do. My concern is to not violate the BC etiquette and / or 'lose my place in line,' so to speak. Can someone point me in the right direction about what to do, i.e. just repost detailed description and logs in the Logs forum?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

Create a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum: Following this guide: Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

When you have posted the logs using that guide. Go back to your topic in Am I infected and post brief reply and a link to the new topic with logs. One of the staff will close the Am I Infected topic when they see the link to the malware logs topic.

Clear as mud yet? :P

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Steve23

Steve23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

Thanks. Got it.

Also, I thought I read on BC that when I'm satisfied and concluded with a topic I start, I'm supposed to say so in a post, so that it can be closed by a Mod. Is that true or am I mis-recollecting over the plethora of reading I've done?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

Only malware topics in the malware logs forum previously mentioned, are closed on a consistent basis when completed. All other forums topics are generally left open. Sometimes topics are closed and usually a reason is given by the staff member closing it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Steve23

Steve23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

I'm all set on this. The re-post with link on old post worked fine. Thanks!

#6 Steve23

Steve23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the answer on closing posts. I forgot that way earlier today I PM'd tg1911 about "Closing a forum topic I started." I just received tg1911's answer as well. My apologizes to you both for the unintended duplication of effort. Thanks again for your answer Animal, and here is a cut and paste of tg1911's PM reply, so that it may be of use to others:
We do like for you to reply back, when a topic is resolved, and what bit of advice resolved the problem.
That is just considered proper forum etiquette.
It lets the helpers know that the problem has been resolved, and what the fix was.
It also lets others, that may be reading the topic for a similar problem that they may have, know that it worked for you, so it may be something they want to try.

Also, a quick "Thank You" to the helpers after the topic is resolved, is always a nice touch, and goes a long way in improving your reputation on the forum.
Let's face it, people are a lot more likely to want to help someone who appreciates the help, than someone who leaves a topic, and the helpers, hanging.
Maybe not so much on other forums, but courtesy goes a long way on BC.

Topics are very seldom closed.
If someone comes along with some additional information, or an easier way to perform the fix, we want them to be able to add it.
Also, someone may come along with the same problem, that might need some clarification on the procedures used.
Leaving the topic open allows them to ask their questions, and may end up helping them, too.
So, you see, your topic is also capable of helping others, as well as yourself
tg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users