Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems switching from on-board GPU to NVIDIA GPU on Win7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Archie_eihcrA

Archie_eihcrA

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hi there folks!

I am having trouble with my new Fujitsu laptop. I have an onboard GPU (Intel® HD Graphics Family) and a non-onboard NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M GPU. I have Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1) and the latest drivers for my NVIDIA video card. I also obviously have DirectX 11 installed, since I have Win7.

Now, the problem is that although Windows detects both GPUs, it uses the Intel one (this was true both before installing the latest NVIDIA driver and before that).

I know it's using the Intel one since: 1. If I go to Control Panel->Display->Change display settings->Advanced settings, the Properties window for the Intel GPU pops up; 2. If I go to Intel® Graphics and Media Control Panel, under Options and Support->Information Center, it says "Processor Graphics In Use: Intel® HD Graphics 3000"; and 3. Graphics quality/performance is way too low for the NVIDIA GPU.

I tried disabling the Intel HD thing in Device Manager, but all that happened was that the screen went blank, so I restarted my computer, booted into Safe Mode (the screen wasn't blank there), re-enabled the Intel, and then restarted Windows into normal mode (and obviously I still had the problem with Windows not using the NVIDIA GPU.

Also, if I go into NVIDIA Control Panel (click the system tray icon and click "Customize which programs use the GPU"), under "Manage 3D Settings", if I add a game to the list of "programs to customize" (in the Program Settings tab) and then click Apply, the game still behaves as if it was using the Intel on-board GPU (as in, nothing changes in terms of quality and/or performance, regardless of the graphics settings). Also, in the Program Settings tab, under "2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program", the selected setting is "Use global setting (Auto-select: NVIDIA GPU)" and it doesn't allow me to change that (the drop-down list is greyed out).

So could you guys please help me solve this little issue? Pretty please?

Edited by Archie_eihcrA, 10 September 2011 - 07:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:20 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Have you tried booting into your computer's BIOS setup utility and change the settings for your on-board and add-on card?

I do not know what motherboard you have since you did not include that information, so I can not say exactly how your BIOS is designed for menu options, but you might want to do some investigating in your BIOS to make those changes stick once your operating system takes over the boot process.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Archie_eihcrA

Archie_eihcrA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

I tried going into the BIOS setup utility, but I was unable to find anything related to switching GPUs, or even related to GPUs at all. So maybe I'm not looking in the right place or something? Could you please tell me where in the BIOS setup I'm supposed to find a way of doing this?

I used CPU-Z to find out what my motherboard is. Here is the screenshot: Attached File  Motherboard.png   27.44KB   6 downloads.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

It seems like your laptop is an LifeBook AH531/GFO

Please check the specs on the page below, is this your computer?

Notice: The image on this page below shows your LifeBook laptop in between two halves of a computer tower, so don't that image of the computer tower fool you.

http://www.fujitsu.com/hk/services/computing/pc/notebooks/aseries/ah531/specs.html

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Archie_eihcrA

Archie_eihcrA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

Yep! That's my computer all right.

Thanks for your help; eagerly anticipating your reply.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

For the sake of you and this forum board I am adding a few links to Fijitsu web site for support information your LifeBook computer.

This is a direct download of your owners manual.

http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/fpcap/uguide/notebooks/aseries/A531_AH531_Dom.zip

This page is the one to look for downloads for your computer, you have to select NoteBook, then series A, then AH531, then click Windows 7 64 Bit and your downloads for this notebook will appear.

http://www.fujitsu-pc-asia.com/driversupport/selectioninterface/selection.html#

Be back to you shortly.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 September 2011 - 06:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users