Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DEP Keeps Closing IE8 on Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Elle44

Elle44

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

Whether I'm checking my hotmail email, searching for jobs on indeed.com, or clicking on a search result from Google, the DEP keeps closing my IE8 and stating that an add-on is trying to use my system memory incorrectly. This started about 2 weeks ago, once in a while, but now it's everyday every couple of minutes. Can't get anything done. Any idea how to figure out which add-on is doing this? Please help! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:13 PM

I'd take a look at the add-ons, disabling all but the essential ones...and see if the problem persists.

Since all of your references involve browsing activity only...that seems logical to me.

It's also possible that IE is damaged...but I would look at the add-ons before concluding such.

Any DEP messages when not using the Internet?

Please post exact wording for any error messages.

Louis

#3 Elle44

Elle44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

I only get DEP messages when using the internet:

Windows Data Execution Prevention detected an add-on trying to use system memory incorrectly. This can be caused by a malfunction or a malicious add-on.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

To help protect your computer, Data Execution Prevention has closed Internet Explorer.

-----
I ran internet explorer without any add-ons and it was ok. However, how would I know what add-ons I'd need to enable except for flash? There are dozens categorized under "run without permission" vs. "currently loaded" vs. "all ad-ons" (which isn't really all of them).

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

You'll have to do trial and error. Enable one, see if it causes the problem. If it does, you know it's the culprit. If it doesn't, disable it again (to keep from confusing things) and enable another one and see if that one causes the problem. Continue doing this until you get the error. At which point, you can disable or uninstall that extension or plugin permanently.

Once you have done that, enable the rest that you normally have enabled, and see if everything works properly.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Elle44

Elle44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:56 PM

It's the Shockwave Flash Object by Adobe. I uninstalled it and a bunch of other Adobe stuff. Reinstalled the add-on so i can watch Hulu.com. But when I tried to check my hotmail, it shut down 3 times in a row. What should I do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users