Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd drive not reading contents of disk and does xp installation just format c drive ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 abcd_1

abcd_1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hi,

I am using a windows xp sp2 and a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N cd/dvd drive

The problem is my cd drive is sometimes detecting the contents of a cd and sometimes not.

I am not even able to find the pattern because the same cd when i insert it into the drive at times it shows the content and at times not.

I want to format only my C drive using the windows xp cd. But the problem is when i am trying to boot from the cd, the os is not able read from cd.

I checked the bios boot priority configuration and it is set to cd/dvd first.

what is the other way of format my c drive other than by booting from cd ?

i copied all the contents of the "windows xp installation disk" onto my usb flash drive and wanted to setup windows xp.

when i double clicked on "setup.exe", i was able to go to the blue screen which had options of "collecting information, dynamic update, preparing installation, installing windows, finalizing installation". the problem is ..it has not asked me whether to just format c or format c,d,e drives.

what will happen if i go ahead and format. will i lose all my data in d, e, f drives also..
or by default it just formats c drive even if it does not ask us ?

I am actually facing all these problems bcos...my pc is not booting from my cd.

Please help me with answers.

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:57 PM

Hi,

When this happens can you eject the cd? When it doesn't read it does it still sound like it is being read in the cd drive?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

Why...are you trying to format the drive?

System manufacturer and model?

Did the manufacturer of your system...provide this "installation disk"?

Louis

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hi,

If I am interpreting your post correctly, you want to reformat and re-install windows onto the C: partition without effecting other existing partitions.

If the C: partition is your system drive (contains the Windows directory), it can only be formatted "outside" of the windows environment via an XP installation CD or a bootable USB Flash drive, not from within windows as you described.

• First, make sure that the C: partition is your system drive.
  • Right click on "My Computer, either on the desktop or start menu, select "Manage," click "Disk Management" on the left.
  • If the C: partition is your system drive, it will say "(System)."
Since you are experiencing trouble with your CDROM drive, a bootabe USB Flash drive should work but only if your computer supports bootable USB devices. You will lose all data on your system drive. The other partitions shouldn't be effected. You must have a "Windows XP installation CD" and not a manufacturer's recovery disk as the latter might replace other partitions you may have created.

The easiest way to create a bootable USB Flash drive for installing Windows is to use WinToFlash.

• Extract the download and run WinToFlash.exe.
  • Insert your flash drive into a USB port and place your Windows installation CD into the CD/DVD drive. Follow the prompts.
  • In view of your CDROM issue, it would be alot easier to create your bootable flash drive on a different computer.

Note: You could also use the Flash drive installation for a repair install of XP or to access the Windows XP Recovery Console in addition to the full OS re-installation.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:46 AM

guys, thank you all for the answers.

@computerxpds@
=============================================================================
When this happens can you eject the cd?
Yes , I am able to eject the cd.
When it doesn't read it does it still sound like it is being read in the cd drive?
No. the green light on the dvd drive is glowing till i insert the cd into the disk and for another 5 seconds. after that, the light is off and i am not hearing any sound.

@hamluis@
Why...are you trying to format the drive?
my pc is slow. hence i am tyring to format the drive.

System manufacturer and model?
mine is an assembled pc. hence i cant answer this question.

Did the manufacturer of your system...provide this "installation disk"?
no , the cd is not from the system manufacturer. it is the one, i got from my friend.
The problem is not for a single cd..it is the same case with other cds also.

@Artrooks@
your explanation is pretty cool. I think i can go ahead and do that.

I just opened up my cpu case and cleaned up the dust inside it using a vaccum blower and the speed of my pc has increased drastically. so the learning is, clean the insides of the cpu. your speed of the pc will increase drastically. earlier the cpu usage was "100%" now it has drastically come down to 25%

so i think ...for a while , i will not think of formatting my pc.
But now the problem is only with the cd drive.
it doesnot read the contents of my disk

is there any other way of reading reparing this, rather than replacing it. i want to repair it.
I ran a scan with the software "cdcheck". it ran for 20 seconds and came up with these errors.
Kind type Message drive name
error win32 The device is not ready. (code: 21) W:\
criticalprocess File/directory in setup window not found! (code: 2) W:\
critical process Process aborted! (code: 3)

Please help me out.
I tried googling out. also applied microsoft supplied registry fix. but no luck.
called up a few local hardware guys. they say i need to replace it...

BUT I WANT TO FIND A SOLUTION FOR THIS. RATHER THAN REPLACING IT..

request help from the knowledgable guys.

Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by abcd_1, 11 September 2011 - 04:00 AM.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:03 AM

Attempt to repair CD/DVD Drive:

• Since your computer case was so dirty, take compressed air and spray it inside the CDROM with the door open. Hold the can upright when spraying.
  • You could purchase (or borrow) a lens cleaning CD. I like to moisten the little brush with some isopropyl alcohol because with an internal CD drive it is near impossible to reach the laser lens with a cue tip dipped in alcohol.
  • You could search the CD manufacturer's website for a firmware update.
  • You could try "Solution One" at this site (uninstall and reinstall CDROM driver).
  • Ask around, you may have a friend who has a CD or DVD drive in an older computer they're not using.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

@Artrooks

Thank you so much for the solutions that you have posted.
They all look very good.

I would try and let you know the results.

Thank you very much for such analytical ways of looking at the problem.

Feel good to be a part of the forum.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users