Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mini 110 system recovery using external monitor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sparkeyes

sparkeyes

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

I want to perform a system recovery to factory settings on a HP Mini 110 using an external monitor - the Mini's own monitor is shot. Every time I try this the external monitor loses signal and I can't continue. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

I think you couldn't do that as your system will not recognized that monitor at installation setup.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:58 PM

Exactly what is the issue with the system?

Might be more of a graphics chip problem.
If it is, reinstalling Windows will not fix it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 sparkeyes

sparkeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

Exactly what is the issue with the system?

Might be more of a graphics chip problem.
If it is, reinstalling Windows will not fix it.

The problem with the system is unrelated to the display issue. I'm not attempting to fix the display by restoring factory settings, just want to make the machine clean again after 2 years unsupervised use by a 12 yr old!
I'm sure you're right and it is the graphics chip or connections to it - something I probably wouldn't be able to fix myself and don't really fancy paying out for.
I just wondered if there was a way around the problem of an externally attached monitor not working during the recovery procedure.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:01 PM

Have you made sure the monitor connections are good but not too tight?
I assume that you are using a known good monitor & the issue isnt with it instead.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

If you want to do Factory Restore you couldn't plug an external monitor as at installation it will not recognized your external monitor.
At some step of sytem restore it will recognized your external monitor but at Driver step it will make your external monitor not recognized. Dont know why Manufacture give this Limitation.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 sparkeyes

sparkeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

Thank you all for your replies. The only other possibility I can think of is to use one of those programs which allow you to work on your computer remotely from another computer. Might that work for what I'm trying to do? (Thanks, Eyesee - the monitor works fine - just not during restore!)

#8 sparkeyes

sparkeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:37 PM

Just thought I'd report my progress. I managed to perform the system recovery by searching on Youtube for a walk through of the process with screen-shots. The left third of the HP Mini 110's screen still works, so I judged where the "next" and "continue" buttons were by referencing the Youtube screen-shots. A little off the wall, but it worked. Only sticking point was when "Instant Web" options came up - Instant Web appears before Windows loads, so it doesn't appear on an external monitor either :blink: . But I got past it with a bit of blind button-fishing. Very pleased with myself - but thanks for all replies.

#9 tristan73

tristan73

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:05 AM

HP Instant Web can be turned off in the BIOS also (which could have been read on the left hand side of the working monitor). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users