Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bumping, and How to "Like" Content.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Steve23

Steve23

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:40 AM

1) How do you bump a topic? Not that I want to, but I don't even know what it is and I saw that sometimes the Expert may request it. I know you're not supposed to or you go 'to the back of the line.'
2) How do you like content, i.e. so that it shows up on BleepingComputer.com> Your control panel> Settings> Content You Like?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 10 September 2011 - 12:00 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steve23

Steve23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:10 PM

How do I change my username? Or is there a waiting period before you are allowed?

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

"Bumping a topic" simply means self-responding for the purpose of moving the topic to the top of the topic list. In other words, you post to your topic without waiting for a reply in order so it gets seen first. Doing so is considered poor forum etiquette. However, there are times when self-responding is appropriate. For example, in the log forum someone posts a reply to their helper and realizes a few hours later that he/she forgot to mention something. It's better to reply again rather than edit the post because the helper could miss the edit. Now, it's noticed immediately after posting, then editing is better.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

By User Name, do you mean the display name that everyone sees? Orange Blossom is my display name. If that is what you are referring to, you need to contact an Administrator requesting the change and what you'd like to have it changed to.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

@frank23 send me a PM requesting your display name change.

The ability to 'like' content has been disabled however the tab in your control panel is still there and cannot be removed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Steve23

Steve23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

OB,

Yes, I meant the Display Name in my original request. Frank23 in my case. How do I contact an Admin??

I now also want to change the Username; the one I use when I sign in with my password. Can you tell me how to do that, because I can't find it in my profile or settings. When you reply, please feel free to say "Sheesh, what noob." ;-) :-D

Thank you for the answer to my question #1 on bumping. Very helpful.

Where would I find an answer to question #2, How do you like content, i.e. so that it shows up on BleepingComputer.com> Your control panel> Settings> Content You Like?

BTW, my bad there for putting two questions in one post. Just read in BC instructions somewhere you're not supposed to do that. I'm trying to learn, but still a BC noobie. I appreciate your help OB.

#7 Steve23

Steve23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

So sorry, while I was typing I missed the update that just answered my 'Admin contact' and "Liking" questions.

Open:
Change logon username

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

Open:
Change logon username

Can also be done by an Admin.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Steve23

Steve23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

Now, it's noticed immediately after posting, then editing is better.

When it is better to edit?

#10 Steve23

Steve23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

Now, it's noticed immediately after posting, then editing is better.

Sorry, new to quoting. Let me try that again.
When is it better to edit a previous post rather than make a new post?

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

It is better to edit a new post when a reply has not been made. If a reply is made by someone else and you want the person to notice the difference then a reply explaining the content and context is better instead of an edit.

EDIT: quoting is only necessary when you need to make sure that it is specific content you are addressing or it is content that is not chronological. Also if you are quoting exact content from an outside source. Otherwise quoting with each reply makes long topics almost unreadable and a real pain for those on dialup to load topics. The easiest way to reply in line is to use fast reply at the bottom of the page or use the add reply button.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 Steve23

Steve23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

Animal.

Not sure whether I should ask this in the forum or our current PM. Since maybe itll benefit someone else Ill put it here. In PM, I told you that I ended up working with you and tg1911.

So how do I keep track of who I'm talking to when?
There's a lot of ways to communicate simultaneously. Also there is an update lag. If I use e-mail to see what's coming from BC, I keep having to bounce over to there. Inefficient. If I'm typing in a forum, someone may post the answer while I'm typing a clarification to the question. Already happened. I see info in the upper right corner BC screen C:\Documents and Settings\Steve.DIMENSION2400-1\Desktop\asdfgzfg.gif, but it seems to have a lag and I don't know how to use it to my advantage. I'm also having a tough time reconciling this with e-mail notification. Seems I get duplicates but also miss info. This upper right corner seems to be the tool to manage what's going on, but I don't get it (yet). Maybe this initial mild confusion is just part of early forum life.

Also, when I last PMd you, it quoted everything by default and I dont know why. I didnt want it to. Not needing an answer, just letting you know it wasnt intentional.

#13 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,469 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

As to the quoting in PM's it is to keep track of replies and the message you send. It turns it into a chronological list of replies if you will. It basically organizes it.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#14 Steve23

Steve23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

OK, that didn't work. How do I attach a picture in a post? The Insert Image button has a default http:// entry and wont take my C:\Documents and Settings\Steve.DIMENSION2400-1\Desktop\screenshot.jpg input. Better yet, how might I paste a picture from the clipboard?

#15 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,469 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

Read this topic here and it will tell you: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic14738.html

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users