Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Computer Freeze

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bakairo

Bakairo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

I'm starting this topic because, well, i could do with some help!

I'm having a problem on my main computer whereby it freezes at the strangest time.

This may sound strange and i am telling this truthful, im not a crazy person, but when it crashes it seems to be ONLY when im not in the room!

Obviously the freeze happens when the system is idle however i've sat with the PC on whilst playing xbox for a good few hours and not a single freeze! I have done this quite a few times to try and rule out certain possibilities and have found not a single reason for this to happen.

I have scanned all my hardware with a wide array of testing software (memtest86 etc.) and everything seems fine. My HDD (old one) was a spinpoint F1 1TB and on another forum i was told (after explaining all the tests and such) that my hard drive was failing, so i bought a new one, a Spinpoint F3 1TB and no prizes for guessing whats started up again! (note it's happened once so far on the new HDD but i want to catch it before its more frequent)

I'm attaching a Hijack This log file for somebody who knows how to read this and tell me what's going wrong here, I'd be very grateful for the help!

Also if anybody wants me to run any other software for other logs please just ask and i'll get to it!

System:
HDDs -
1TB Spinpoint F3 - Boot
1TB Spinpoint F1 - (old HDD which still works)
2TB Western digital Cav green
3TB western digital Cav green

CPU -
AMD Phoenom II x4 3.00 Ghz

PSU -
750 watt corsair modular power supply

MoBo -
Asus M4A78 pro

Ram -
8Gb (4x 2GB) OCZ gold DDR2

GPU -
ATI Radeon HD 4870 XFX 1GB

Disc Drives -
TSS Corp DVD-RW Lightscribe
Pioneer BD-RW

Some of the Hardware is 2 years old but was brand new at the time and as of yet they are apparently fine but i have my doubts

NOTE - Most recent crash/freeze happened during file transfer from a 500GB external HDD onto the 3TB WDC Green disc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bakairo

Bakairo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

I forgot to attach the Hijack This Log!

My bad

Mod Edit: Removed HJT log, malware tool not allowed in this forum. Freezes occur for many reasons, with most not related at all to malware ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 10 September 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#3 Grnfinger

Grnfinger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

Go to http://www.memtest86.com/

make a bootable cd or USB stick with the image on it and test your ram.
Let it run 3 passes, sometimes it takes that long to find errors..this will rule out ram as the problem

do you get many crc errors?

Edited by hamluis, 10 September 2011 - 03:01 PM.
Sent PM re replying to misplaced log topic.

#4 Bakairo

Bakairo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

Hi

I've tried running memtest before and got no errors from my memory

I've recently run a few more GPU and CPU checkers to see if they are causing the freeze and got no problems there

It's a massive pain in the arse because nothing is showing ANY errors at all! so i've no idea what could be causing it

I was considering getting somebody to look at it but for a fee of around 100-200 i think i'd be better looking at building a brand new machine

On other forums i was told HDD failure straight away... I know this isn't the case

All temps are fine, It's just a completely random freeze, it happens at any time, today it happened firstly 10 minutes into using the PC and then 8 hours!

This happens with all the services OFF -AND- also happens in safe mode

It's not drivers because i tried it with a clean install and same thing

I'm going to try memtest again BUT im going to do it one stick at a time (it is going to be a long week) to see if a specific stick is defective and if not then i'll try each stick in each slot (make that a very long week)

It's driving me insane! If i find myself having to do a CAD drawing, i might be half way through and BAM.... freeze

It really sounds strange but 90% of the time it just happens as soon as i move out of the room, now i know computers are inanimate objects but i'm sure mine can't miss me that much that it tops itself!

And thank you for removing my HJT log Mr.Moderator, i was redirected here for any queries regarding a log

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

FWIW: Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Louis

#6 Bakairo

Bakairo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

Right, so below is the result of leaving it for 3 passes on all units of memory and came back with, yet again, 0 errors!

Scans on CPU, GPU, HDD and RAM all come back fine, could it be my motherboard?

I thought id nailed it yesterday but i had a freeze today :( at around 2pm GMT

I had a freeze the other day during a session on Dead Island and i noticed that the first thing to freeze was the display but one thing i noticed was that the sound didn't instantly cut out. Sound continued as normal for around 10 seconds but then went really jittery looping half a second of sound constantly (great for causing a headache) and then i press reset.

Now the freeze today happened whilst i surfed the net (safari - please don't judge) and it was more like a windows explorer freeze as i could move the mouse around but for only 10 seconds (like the sound in the games) so i'm wondering if there's a connection at all?

I'd like to point out that my audio goes via SPDIF directly from the motherboard to a sound system.

Attached File  photo-1.JPG   355.97KB   3 downloads

Edited by Bakairo, 21 September 2011 - 08:48 AM.

#7 Bakairo

Bakairo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

Go to http://www.memtest86.com/

make a bootable cd or USB stick with the image on it and test your ram.
Let it run 3 passes, sometimes it takes that long to find errors..this will rule out ram as the problem

do you get many crc errors?

I apologize for not getting back about CRC errors

No I don't get any at all, i checked this because i had bad RAM in a laptop that kept giving CRC but replacing cleared that up on there.

The basic signs aren't showing, all temps are still fantastic, memory seems to be performing well, all hardware performs well under stress tests, the PSU is brand new... it's so confusing!

#8 Bakairo

Bakairo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

Just going to add another thing i've noticed, I'm not sure if it's relevant or not.

Looking through my event log at the errors that come up at the same time as the kernel power critical error (hard reset after crash) it shows that i had low resources at the time of the freeze

The computer was unable to load certain services or something like that

I find it a little confusing as the services its trying to start have already started with system boot so is my computer itself confused? :s

The memtest scan shows memory is fine so surely something else is wrong here, i remember my hijack this log showed 'missing files' of some type but that got took down from this thread

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

If you want to post a HJT log...please do so in the appropriate malware forum, following prescribed procedures.

Malware tools like HJT are not allowed in the Internal Hardware forum...IH is not malware.

Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

Louis

#10 Bakairo

Bakairo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

If you want to post a HJT log...please do so in the appropriate malware forum, following prescribed procedures.

Malware tools like HJT are not allowed in the Internal Hardware forum...IH is not malware.

Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

Louis

Right i understand, fair do's, the only reason i was posting it was to rule out the possibility but i posted in internal hardware because i'm pretty sure that it's hardware related, however at this point it could be anything.

I'm beginning to think it may be related to my graphics card, there's a few things i want to try out but i might have solved it.

Note that im running an ATI (AMD) Radeon HD4870 XFX with completely updated drivers, and i think the freeze may be AMD related. Give me a few days testing this and i'll reply to the thread and would be happy for other people having freezes with AMD cards to test this out.

I won't say what it is because i'm not 100% yet and don't want to be blaming the problem on something not causing it!

#11 Bakairo

Bakairo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

Definitely Hardware related, started the computer with basic drivers and still froze up on me, im pretty sure its the graphics because it froze whilst watching a movie.

The image froze but sound and mouse input stayed for about 10 seconds and then the sound went all buzzy and the entire system froze.

NOTE - The sound is coming from Fibre Optics from the MOTHERBOARD and video is from the GFX card.

As far as the internet tells me not many people care much about these problems and as my system cost me a LOT of money to build id appreciate somebody to look at what iv posted and help me diagnose what's wrong.

I cant test the graphics as i dont own another card so i NEED the one that's in unless its the thing causing the problem.... which is what i could use somebody's help worth so i can replace it.

I would like somebody to see if my system is compatible, i know it sounds a little stupid but second opinions could mean a lot to me here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users