Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail Loading Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dr00dman01

Dr00dman01

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:37 PM

Hello, I recently had a run in with whatever it was that likes to know out the CD-Rom drives on computers, but decided to reformat and reinstall everything. I upgraded to a bigger harddrive and a new dr+-rw drive (I/O Magic) and it turns out my Product key for windows xp ran out of uses... But that is being worked out.

Anyway, after I reinstalled everything, I ordered another windows to get the product key and while I was confirming emails and stuff I ran into a problem with Hotmail. Every other web page I have gone to (regular sites and several help sites) have all loaded perfectly fine, but when I log into hotmail, have of the time it loads wrong. The tabs across the top are all on a plain blue background and stretched out in a column on the left side of the page. Also there are repeats of several of the buttons. The normal listings of each email and their info are displayed about one-third of the way down the screen and the colors are off (sort of inverted- white becomes blue and vice versa marking read and unread). Also half the time clicking on the link for the email doesn't work, displaying a java-like error on the bottom of the page, not even "Open in a new Window" works. I am hoping this type of problem is just a non-updated driver or component thing (will get everything updated as soon as new cd arrives). It doesn't look like a ddr-ram or processor problem as it is very specific to Hotmail, anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this or how to fix it?

Dr00dman01 :thumbsup:

Windows Xp Home sp1 (at the moment)
Internet Explorer 6
Directx 9.0c
All current graphics drivers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:21 AM

Hi Dr00dman01

This will sound quite trivial, but have you tried to clear out your temporary internet files?

:thumbsup: Delete Temporary Internet Files
  • There's also a possibility of some corrupted files in your Temporary Internet Files (TIF) storage. You should clear these
  • In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and select the General tab
  • Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files, and click OK when you are prompted to confirm the deletion
Complete this step then we can go from there.
David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 21 January 2006 - 11:21 AM.

#3 Dr00dman01

Dr00dman01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:28 PM

Yeah i tried that already did all the routine stuff(full norton scan, delete temp files, ran Hijackthis, reinstall drivers, checked registry and msconfig for abnormal startup programs, checked program files and stuff like that) nothing is showing up at all and page is still screwed up... :thumbsup:

Dr00dman01

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:02 AM

Hi there,

I've spent a while looking into this and have complied a few registry changes for you to try. I recommend trying this simple approach to backing up the registry before we start:

1. Click Start /Run and type in "regedit" (no quotes).

2. Next, click the File menu, Export

3. Select a location from the resulting box and give your backup registry a
name. Something like:

Regbackup 01-22-2006. <-- I just put todays date.

:thumbsup: Just a quick note: by default, Windows backs up the registry when you shut down your machine. The above is probably best used for those (like myself) who are editing registry settings, such as we are about to do!

Then open notepad and and copy and paste next bold in it:
(don't forget to copy and paste REGEDIT4)

REGEDIT 4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@="ClassMoniker"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\InprocServer32]
@="ole32.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProgID]
@="clsid"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\CLSID]
@="{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

Save this as "fix.reg" Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.

It should look like this: Posted Image

Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry, click yes/ok.

Reboot and open your Internet Explorer.
Try and open Hotmail and let me know what happens.

David :flowers:

#5 Dr00dman01

Dr00dman01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:39 AM

No luck im afraid... but I believe I have narrowed it down to a hardware problem. Formatted and reinstalled 3 times, same problem came up all 3 times, my bro's comp it ran fine. So it has to be a minute problem in one of my components (hoping either ram or MB). But ive been looking into various memeory testing programs (Disk Scan already showed no problems so its not my HD) and have tried memtest86 (no problems detected) and ive run "Hot CPU tester lite" (and nothing showed up too often on it more then they said was normal). I have been thinking of getting Hot CPU tester Pro 4 i think it was called... supposedly it tests for internal hardware problems. Anyway, any hardware testing program suggestions for easiest to use, good working, and relatively cheap or (preferably :thumbsup: ) free?

(Praying its not my graphics card...)

Dr00dman01

#6 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:43 AM

Hi Dr00dman01

Hmm...unfortunately i'm not a hardware guy, so i can't really help any further :thumbsup:

I'll ask around and see if anyone can take a look.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users