Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not outputting any video despite having tried two graphics cards.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Drakal

Drakal

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

My HP pavilion p6100z which I'm trying to repair doesn't seem to want to output any video from its bundled graphics card whatsoever. I thought that the card may have broke and so I bought a Nvidia GeForce gtx 550 Ti, and that one doesn't seem to output on any port.

http://db.tt/qQtVcLv

The new card is on the top right, the old one is on the top left, the motherboard in the main.
Nothing displays, not even the bios.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Drakal, 09 September 2011 - 09:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

What exactly does the computer do when you start it up?

Any post beep codes?

Any fans spinning?

Jumping ahead, you may have a faulty rail in your power supply, this means it is not supplying power to the circuitry of the video expansion slot.

In conditions like this, it is easy to suspect the video card its self, when it may be a faulty power supply, it supplies power to case fans, but not to the video circuitry.

Its either that or you have a dead motherboard.

Business as usual in these types of situations I am afraid, try using another PSU if you can and see it the computer powers up with video.

If your board is bad there is not a lot you can do, unless you wanted to try and locate the faulty circuit and repair it, which can sometimes be a difficult task.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Drakal

Drakal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:06 PM

Alright
1) Lights come on, fans spinning etc
2) No beeps
3) All fans spinning normally
4) I don't think so, everything is getting power.

Motherboard is fine, cpu fan receives power from it which the motherboard gets from the supply.
Its "booting" just nothing displays.

#4 Drakal

Drakal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

Okay, I did some digging in the computer and found a small port that hasn't been connected to, its labeled CMOS+PW. I can't seem to find anything that properly connects to it.

http://db.tt/wZDvq9D

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

The CMOS+PW is in the location of those two blue colored jumpers, they look like blue colored blocks, there is 6 pins in this location, they are used to reset your BIOS configuration and to disable BIOS password checking, in other words your BIOS password if one was originally set in the BIOS setup utility for access to the BIOS.

The open jumpers you see are the SPI Header pins, these are the Serial Peripheral Interface pins. I will provide more information shortly.

One moment, I am posting to this thread from two differnt computers and I have additional information to post from my other computer.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 September 2011 - 02:28 PM.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

Okay I am back on my other computer, where I have additional information to contribute.

First here is one of the many support pages for your computer, this one in particular shows your motherboard and lists all of its features and pin layouts.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01701270&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4002882&tmp_track_link=ot_search#N33

This next link explains to you what the SPI header is and what it does.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci959922,00.html

That is a very useful web site for information.

So your problem would have nothing to do with those two items I spoke of above.

Be back with you shortly, I am still checking for a possible solution.

Bruce.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

I have a question, is it possible a jumper became removed from the motherboard without you knowing it?

You said you are trying to repair it, this comes across to me like you have not had contact with this computer before the problem popped up, is this correct?

In other words what i am trying to say is that the computer came into your possession with the video problem already being than issue.

If this holds true, I may have discovered the problem.

Going back to to the second image of yours where you asked about the CMOS+PW, in that image I can see your SPI_Header pins, they are close to your motherboard's built in speaker, it looks like a little black cylinder with a tiny hole in it.

The image of your motherboard in the link I provided in post #6 above shows a jumper on pin #1 and another pin, to make things easier for you I am uploading an edited image of your motherboard and in this image I am putting a RED circle around the SPI header showing a blue jumper om pin #1 and the pin directly below it.

Here is the image, please examine it closely.

Click the image to zoom into the image.

Attached File  c01701274a.jpg   150.65KB   6 downloads

Is there a blue jumper in that same location as in this picture?

Bruce.

#8 Drakal

Drakal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

Ah no there is not! I believe I have a spare somewhere. I'll get back in a moment!

Edit: No it does not fix it unfortunately.

Also, as I was repositioning the cords from the power supply, this came to my attention, its a plug labeled "P8". I cannot find anywhere it might plug in.

http://db.tt/GEgURCb

Edited by Drakal, 10 September 2011 - 05:04 PM.

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

That was Cable Power for Floppy Drive. If you doesn't have any Floppy Drive you could ignore that cable and leave it without plugging it to something.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:15 PM

Drakal, it appears that you are capable of taking some high resolution pictures, would it be possible to post some of your entire motherboard, I want to compare your motherboard to some documents and pictures of the motherboard from HP.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

#11 Drakal

Drakal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:45 PM

Alright then, 5MP was the highest I could get, have only phone so its a little blurry, the motherboard tag and some barcodes should be visible.

http://db.tt/Rw9EtNv
http://db.tt/FOPDkSw

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

Did you remove the video card to take these pictures?

I see a slot cover missing, but no video card in the PCI-E slot.

Bruce.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

Oh and you do not have to be that close to the computer case when taking pics, doing that makes them blurry, I can use image magnification to zoom into the picture, just make sure there is decent light exposure over the entire area, this will allow me to see in darker areas a little bit better.

Perhaps one more try at the over-all image, only just a little bit further away than the last image.

I want to be able to clearly inspect the condition of your caps and a few other things.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users