Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permanently enlarged font and stand by disabled

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kathleenk

Kathleenk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

Two things were surprisingly different on my laptop a week ago when I turned it on:

1) the font in all my programs and browser windows was huge, and
2) the stand by option is totally disabled (it is grayed out and I can't click on it) and my computer won't automatically go into stand by when I shut it.

What I've tried:

- shut my computer down a number of times to see if it would shake off those problems, it didn't
- went to Display in the Control Panel to see if "large" or "extra large" fonts was chosen in the Appearance tab. They weren't, and if I did select one, the font got even bigger.
- ran Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, but it didn't find any infection

Anyone know what might be causing this or how I can fix it?

Thanks, Kathleen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

Microsoft Says...

I would uninstall my video drivers...reboot...then reinstall the video drivers, they may be damaged.

Louis

#3 GuruLounge

GuruLounge

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

If uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers doesn't work try another video card. If you've a built-in port on your motherboard, try that. If not, try a low-end or spare card (perhaps from another computer)?

This well tell you if it's a video card related or Windows related problem.

Jeff

#4 Kathleenk

Kathleenk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

Thanks Louis and Jeff.

I think I uninstalled my video driver successfully (I followed a youtube video called "Uninstall Video Card Drivers on Windows XP" posted by DcDouglass84).

I'm not a super advanced computer person, though, so I don't know what driver to install now. I don't have any CD's or original anything for this laptop since it was given to me by my sister and I'm sure she didn't keep any of the important materials.

Can I download a video driver from the internet? I did a search and also looked at Microsoft's site, but couldn't figure it out. Do you know where I could find a step-by-step guide?

Thank you!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

If you tell us the manufacturer (e.g., Compaq, Dell, etc.) and model (Presario 1234, Dimension 5678, etc.) of the laptop, we can link you to the correct video drivers.

You can then download them...and install them.

Louis

#6 Kathleenk

Kathleenk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:40 PM

It's an HP 6735b. Thanks!!

Kathleen

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

All XP drivers, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3687795&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3687779&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093

Video drivers, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3687779&prodNameId=3687795&swEnvOID=1093&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-64993-1

Louis

#8 Kathleenk

Kathleenk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

That worked! Thanks so much, Louis!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:06 AM

You are very welcome, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users