Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very weird problem with internet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 #fruddy

#fruddy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:50 AM

3-4 months ago I bought a new stationary computer with windows 7. It didn't have any PCI internet card, so I bought a NETGEAR usb adapter for my WNR1000 V3 router.
I worked perfectly and with a fast download rate (I have 10mbit).
About a month ago I noticed that the internet sometimes was getting slower, and then when I tried again at a later time it was fine. But it got worse and worse, and
I checked my download rate with a program, which said that my download rate was around 10kb-50kb. It varied a lot when I downloaded, and mostly my download rate was
in that range, but sometimes it whent up to 600-900kb for some time and then it went way back down.
I then reinstalled Windows completely to factory settings, and I think the internet was working fine for some days, but then it got really bad again.
I thought that maybe it was the NETGEAR usb adapter that was causing the trouble, so I bought and installed a Edimax EW-7728In PCI internet card, but it didn't change anything...

I have asked a lot of people on different forums, but noone was able to help!

I don't know if a HJT log would help, but this log is from my freshly installed computer:
Mod Edit: Removed HJT log, which is malware tool (not allowed in this forum), not used for general system troubleshooting...connectivity issues occur for many reasons unrelated to malware and I see nothing thus far indicating that you have anything other than system issues that can be explored in this forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2011 - 06:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:57 AM

If you are certain your system is not infected you should speak with your ISP.

#3 #fruddy

#fruddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

But when i sit with my laptop in the same room as my stationary, it works fine, and with 10mb download?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

You could have stated that in your first post.

Is the desktop relatively close to the router?

Have you tried a different browser just to make sure the issue isn't with IE? If so, then I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum and let's find out for sure if your system is clean or infected.

#5 #fruddy

#fruddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:36 AM

No, the router is on the main floor and my computer is on 1 floor.
I normally have 2-3 bars on the tray bar.
I have tried to download google chrome, but it's so slow that it stop downloading and says that it encountered a problem..

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

Well, it could be the distance between the router and the system. That could make for inconsistent speeds. Also, Chrome isn't the only alternative (Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc)

#7 #fruddy

#fruddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:13 AM

But it worked perfectly fine before??

#8 rbico

rbico

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

I had a similar problem whit my D-Link router and I went to the d-link forum and asked there and found that there are a lot of default times selected that caused my problems. QOS was one and there was another where you could designate a stagnate address for the connection and I believe that was the one that made the most difference. You might try the netgear forums and see if they can help you (no offense to the scores of helpful people here)
http://forum1.netgear.com/

#9 #fruddy

#fruddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

Thanks rbico, I'm gonna try that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users