Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to know for sure where files are stored

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

These may rank as the dumbest questions of the year, :huh: but here goes.

I want to know if there is a foolproof way to know where the source file is located. It looks like the "Library" part of Explorer, (where it seems like files are duplicates of those in MyDocuments) are just virtual addresses, and I would need to delete files in MyDocuments to actually have them not show up there. Is this true? Is there a way to have Explorer NOT use the Library option? It's nothing but confusing for me, since everything I need to reference is on one drive.

I copied my music to MyMusic folder (all in mp3 format), and then loaded iTunes 10.4.1.10, and now find that every single song is duplicated in iTunes Library -- maybe because of the reference files in Explorer's "Library," or because I also found them all in an iTunes directory under /Users? I want to get rid of the duplicates, but am wary of what files to delete at this point. I have over 2000 songs, so doing one delete at a time using iTunes software is out of the question. I figure maybe I can uninstall iTunes, delete all but one directory of music and then reload iTunes and have a clean iTunes library to sync to my new iPod. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks so much for your help. If it matters, I'm using Win 7 - 64bit on an HP Pavilion desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:33 AM

You don't have to use the library function at all...it's intended to be a convenience, providing easy access to media files. I would call it a virtual location or assembly area, it's not a file path of any sort.

You then would have to navigate to the individual folder/file locations...to access the files.

Items which are put into library remain in their respective locations. Exploring the actual drive locations will reveal this.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users