Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan keeps TrendMicro from running

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 lebdaily

lebdaily

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

It started with random re-directions of searches through Yahoo (both through Internet Explorer and Mozilla). Trend Micro would not start up and was not running in the background. All Restore and Configure dates disappeared except for today. Now random commercials play through the speakers (no visuals, even with the Internet disconnected).

We've run Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Mircosoft Stand-alone System Sweeper Beta, and SuperAntiSpyware (free edition). Every one has taken a half dozen different things off - AdWare, Trojans, etc.

Trend Micro Titanium will not start. The starting image comes up on the screen but goes off after a minute or two. We've run the HijackThis program, dds and gmer and have attached the logs.

We're novices, so forgive us if there is already a thread running on something similar.

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by lebdaily, 09 September 2011 - 09:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

Posted Image In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/418131 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

Posted Image If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner.

Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step.

Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#3 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hello lebdaily,
  • Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
  • My name is fireman4it and I will be helping you with your Malware problem.

Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:
  • Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools.
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing.
  • Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean".
  • In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Watch Topic.I suggest you click it and select Immediate E-Mail notification and click on Proceed. This way you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.

• Finally, please reply using the ADD REPLY button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply, unless they do not fit into the post.

Please download DummyCreator.zip and unzip it.
  • Run the tool.
  • Copy and paste the following into the edit box:

C:\WINDOWS\2613645030
  • Press Create button and post the content of the Result.txt.

Important: Restart the computer.

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.5.6.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.5.6.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

Install Recovery Console and Run ComboFix

This tool is not a toy. If used the wrong way you could trash your computer. Please use only under direction of a Helper. If you decide to do so anyway, please do not blame me or ComboFix.

Download Combofix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
  • Close/disable all anti-virus and anti-malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Close any open windows, including this one.
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • If you did not have it installed, you will see the prompt below. Choose YES.
  • Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Note:The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you
should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

• Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image
  • Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please post the contents of the log (C:\ComboFix.txt).
Leave your computer alone while ComboFix is running.
ComboFix will restart your computer if malware is found; allow it to do so.

Note: Please Do NOT mouseclick combofix's window while its running because it may cause it to stall.

Things to include in your next reply::
Result.txt
TdssKiller log
Combofix.txt
How is your machine running now?

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#4 lebdaily

lebdaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:05 PM

Sorry about the delay. I am having internet connectivity issues and am having to transfer all my information via a flash drive from one computer to the next. I am not sure if the search problem on the internet is fixed due to the fact that I cannot connect on the infected machine. I am trying to fix that problem as well. I have attached the logs of all three programs I was instructed to run.

Thank you so much for your help.

Attached Files

#5 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:55 PM

Hello

Well it looks like the main infection is gone. Run the following scans and if you still have no conectivity I would try and uninstall SuperAntispyware and see if your internet comes back. Then I would uninstall TrendMicro if SAS don't do it.

• Download RogueKiller on the desktop
  • Close all the running processes
  • Under Vista/Seven, right click -> Run as Administrator
  • Otherwise just double-click on RogueKiller.exe
  • When prompted, type 1 (SCAN) then Enter
  • A report should open, give its content to your helper. (RKreport could also be found next to the executable)
  • If RogueKiller has been blocked, do not hesitate to try a few times more. If really won't run, rename in winlogon.exe (or winlogon.com) and try again

ESET Online Scanner:

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

Vista users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

• Please go here then click on: Posted Image

Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
    All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

• Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on: Posted Image
  • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
  • Now click on: Posted Image
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#6 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

Hello.

Are you still there?

If you are please follow the instructions in my previous post.

If you still need help, follow the instructions I have given in my response. If you have since had your problem solved, we would appreciate you letting us know so we can close the topic.

Please reply back telling us so. If you don't reply within 3-5 days the topic will need to be closed.

Thanks for understanding :)

With Regards,
fireman4it

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#7 lebdaily

lebdaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

I apologize. I tried to download roguekiller but my laptops antivirus didn't like it and then it would not download. I still cannot connect to the internet. I got rid of the super antispyware but I think we did something to the computer. I have gotten very frustrated and do not know how to fix it. I believe it is a separate problem from my malware issue but happened due to some "fixing" my husband and I did.

I will attempt roguekiller again but do not think it will fix my internet issue. Trend Micro will have to be uninstalled anyway since it still will not come up even though it is running in the background according to combofix.

I will repost when I finish your previous post.

Thanks

#8 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

Hello,

With this type of infection we see some internet loss. We may be able to fix it if you have not already done further damage. The machine that has no internet connection does the CD rom still work? Also can you burn CDS on another machine? and have access to a USB FLASH Drive?

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#9 lebdaily

lebdaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

My CD rom works and I have a flash drive that I have been using from one computer to another. I'm not sure what a CDS is but I can burn a CD in my laptop.

Thanks

I just ran RogueKiller and attached the report

Attached Files

Edited by lebdaily, 19 September 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#10 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hello,

• Download RogueKiller on the desktop
  • Close all the running processes
  • Under Vista/Seven, right click -> Run as Administrator
  • Otherwise just double-click on RogueKiller.exe
  • When prompted, type 2 (REMOVE) then Enter
  • A report should open, give its content to your helper. (RKreport could also be found next to the executable)
  • If RogueKiller has been blocked, do not hesitate to try a few times more. If really won't run, rename in winlogon.exe (or winlogon.com) and try again

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Next download driver.sh to your USB drive
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Confirm that you see driver.sh that you downloaded there
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash driver.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named report.txt
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to report.txt

Please note - all text entries are case sensitive
Copy and paste the report.txt for my review

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#11 lebdaily

lebdaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:32 PM

I attached the logs from all of the scans.

Thanks

Attached Files

#12 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hello,

Please post the report.txt again this time make sure the WordWrap is checked under the View tab in Notepad

Can you please also run Combofix again.

Edited by fireman4it, 19 September 2011 - 11:11 PM.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#13 lebdaily

lebdaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

I have run combofix again and attached both reports you requested.

Thank you.

Attached Files

#14 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

Go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> Command Prompt

In the Command Window type the following:

netsh winsock reset catalog

Then Press Enter

Now Exit the Command Prompt

• Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connection ->Network Connections.
  • Right-click your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection (if you are using dial-up), and left-click on the Properties option.
  • Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item and select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
  • Click OK twice.
    spacer.gif
  • Go to Start -> Run...
  • In the Open: field type cmd and click OK or hit Enter.
    This will open a Command Prompt.
  • At the DOS prompt screen, type in ipconfig /flushdns and then press Enter (notice the space between "ipconfig" and "/flushdns").
  • Exit the Command Prompt.
  • Reboot your PC and try to open any website.

3. I see alot of Stuff that is set to not start up at start of the machine.

Please Go to Start> Run >
Type the Following and hit Ok

msconfig

On this screen Make sure Normal Startup is checked.
Then click Ok
Restart your computer.

Go ahead and remove Microsoft Security Essentials if you still don't have internet.

Do you have your internet back now?

Edited by fireman4it, 20 September 2011 - 04:06 PM.

Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

#15 lebdaily

lebdaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

No. My internet still does not work. I tried all of the solutions and deleted Microsoft Security Essentials. IE network diagnostics states "error releasing current IP address: the RPC server unavailable". This is the error it has continually shown since we have not been able to access the internet.

Thanks for your continued help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users