Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abnormally Long Startup

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

I just got my computer last month, and I've noticed a dramatic start up time increase within the last week. Even slower than my 8 year old xp downstairs.
To compare, before, the time it took me to go downstairs, get a drink, and come back, everything would be done loading.
Now, by the time I get back, it takes an extra 30 seconds or so.

Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bqpq1RiafgyoXv2Wubw7olj

I run CCleaner occasionally, a full scan with SAS turned up clean, same with MBAM. I'm not sure what the problem is, I only have Avast and IDM running at start up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:20 PM

An extra 30 seconds? Really? I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

#3 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

It's just a nuisance, would you mind helping me figure out why anyways?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#5 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

None of them made any difference.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:19 PM

Then I really wouldn't worry about it. Just don't sit and watch your system boot.

#7 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

Okay, thanks.

#8 calkid

calkid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

I just got my computer last month, and I've noticed a dramatic start up time increase within the last week. Even slower than my 8 year old xp downstairs.
To compare, before, the time it took me to go downstairs, get a drink, and come back, everything would be done loading.
Now, by the time I get back, it takes an extra 30 seconds or so.

Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bqpq1RiafgyoXv2Wubw7olj

I run CCleaner occasionally, a full scan with SAS turned up clean, same with MBAM. I'm not sure what the problem is, I only have Avast and IDM running at start up.

Here is a few other things you should do if you're as anal as i am, click on start and type in %temp% once the window pops up select all from the "edit" tab and then click delete, some can be left behind due to in use at that time, after you have finished got to Windows, scroll to "temp" folder and same directions as above, click on the back tab when finished and scroll up to "Prefetch" delete all and empty the trash can. Once finished, hit start and type in "msconfig" click on start up and uncheck most all the ones you don't need, then go to the boot tab and choose "No GUI Boot" Then in the time out drop down arrow change it to 10, click apply and it will ask you to restart. I do this with the exception of "msconfig" daily when i leave my PC, it's like cleaning house or washing a car the more you do it the better it runs or looks. If your PC has a card slot for the an SD card buy one that is 4gig or more and use it for "Readyboost" CCleaner is good however you need other tools such as "ATF Cleaner" Google it, it's free and also purchase "Disk Keeper" if you are not one who like's the internal defrag, Disk Keeper defrags before defragmentation even starts. Cheers!

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

Not to beat a dead horse here, but precisely how long is "abnormally long"? Have you actually timed your boot?

Try this: How to See What Your Windows 7 Restart Time is http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/720-restart-time.html

Mine reboots between 40-45 seconds usually.
[attachment=106668:restart.PNG]

Edited by Union_Thug, 09 September 2011 - 07:59 PM.

#10 calkid

calkid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

Forgot to add, to off Windows updates and uninstall all the ones that your PC installed after you bought it, Control panel, Programs and Features, View installed updates and delete by date, the only updates you need and can be done manually is Windows Defender as well as your Anti-Virus program. With that said, if you have Norton, MaCafee, Panda etc: uninstall or just disable there own firewall, Install Malware Bites and i like AVG free anti virus as it takes up hardly any resources, I haven't had a virus in 8 yrs so it speaks for itself, good luck

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

...the only updates you need and can be done manually is Windows Defender as well as your Anti-Virus program...and i like AVG free anti virus as it takes up hardly any resources...

I respectfully disagree with this advice/observations/opinions. YMMV.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:23 AM

Here is a few other things you should do if you're as anal as i am, click on start and type in %temp% once the window pops up select all from the "edit" tab and then click delete, some can be left behind due to in use at that time, after you have finished got to Windows, scroll to "temp" folder and same directions as above, click on the back tab when finished and scroll up to "Prefetch" delete all and empty the trash can. Once finished, hit start and type in "msconfig" click on start up and uncheck most all the ones you don't need, then go to the boot tab and choose "No GUI Boot" Then in the time out drop down arrow change it to 10, click apply and it will ask you to restart. I do this with the exception of "msconfig" daily when i leave my PC, it's like cleaning house or washing a car the more you do it the better it runs or looks. If your PC has a card slot for the an SD card buy one that is 4gig or more and use it for "Readyboost" CCleaner is good however you need other tools such as "ATF Cleaner" Google it, it's free and also purchase "Disk Keeper" if you are not one who like's the internal defrag, Disk Keeper defrags before defragmentation even starts. Cheers!

1) Emptying the temp folder has NOTHING to do with boot time
2) Leave the Prefetch folder alone. The entries in prefetch SPEED the boot time. Emptying the folder defeats your purpose. And the prefetch folder should only keep boot items from the most recent couple of weeks anyway.
3) DO NOT use msconfig to manage startup items. MSCONFIG should be used exclusively as a diagnostic utility.

In other words, I'm afraid much of the advice in the above quoted post is inappropriate.

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

In other words, I'm afraid much of the advice in the above quoted post is inappropriate.

I agree. Prefetch analyses what DLLs & other files an application loads, so the next time the application loads it can more optimally load all DLLs and other files without waiting for them to be called. Superfetch extends the capabilities of Prefetch in Windows 7.

Deleting prefetch is simply bad advice, as is using msconfig to control start-ups.

Edited by Union_Thug, 10 September 2011 - 08:55 AM.

#14 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

It took 116 seconds.

Posted Image

I doubt that's normal.

Edited by BrainyTehBrain, 10 September 2011 - 10:48 AM.

#15 Texascoyote

Texascoyote

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:26 AM

Give this a try. Soluto I've used it with Win7 64 for a while and really like it. You can pause, delay or remove startup items from your boot with ease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users