Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

POST w/ one video card but not another...why?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SgtNoobert

SgtNoobert

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

Specs: ASUS A8NSLI Premium
4Gigs Corsair XMS DDR3200
GTX550 vid card (new one) 7900GT (old one)
550W Rosewill PSU
AMD Opteron 165

So, I just got a replacement mobo and hooked everything up. Added my new video card (GTX550) and BAM...one long beep three short, same POST i got for my broken mobo. I tried my old video card (7900GT) and it POSTed FINE!!! I have a 550W PSU so it couldn't be a short in power...right? I have no clue why one card will work and another will not...I need help, bad.

Thanks in advance for your sage advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

First off your BIOS beep code

1 Long, then 3 Short Beeps= Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

Your PSU may not have enough output to properly power up the video card along with everything else in your computer system.
This can result in a lope boot where system restarts over and over again trying to boot properly, or a complete system shut down in extreme cases.

Sometimes an incorrect BIOS setting is the cause or a BIOS update is needed to support newer hardware, specially video cards that are added to the system during upgrades.

I am sure you double checked that the video card is properly seated in its slot when you installed it in the motherboard slot.

See if when you boot up the computer if you are able access the BIOS, hold down whatever key is mentioned on the screen.

You can make changes to the settings for the video card's settings and see if this corrects the problem.

If no post and no video is the problem, this can be caused by a defective video card (it does happen that brand new video cards are defective right out the box!)

If the video card was to work in another known working computer, then I would suspect your video card is not getting enough power from the PSU, it is being under powered causing the issue.

It could also be your BIOS just can not handle the card, I have seen cases where a BIOS upgrade corrects the problem, be advised that with computers with no display, you should perform the upgrade using a video card that works with the current BIOS version, then switch cards after the upgrade.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 September 2011 - 09:55 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 SgtNoobert

SgtNoobert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

So I just read the min req for the video card and it says 400+W PSU w/ 12V rating 24A...I see on my PSU that it is 12V+ and - @18A....does that mean my power supply is insufficient? I have a Rosewiill 550V2-S-SL

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

To be truthful with you, it probably is insufficient.

You listed the PSU's output amperage at 18 Amps, the GPU requires 24 amps, you already have a deficit of 6 Amps right from the start.
Now configure the rest of the computer system's demand for available current, you fall quite short of the requirement.

Think of it as starting your automobile with a standard 9 volt battery instead of 12 volt one with 600 cranking amps, it's not going to happen, the supply is much less then the demand.

Your video card is struggling to get enough power to function properly, bigger cards require bigger power supplies.

You can skimp on the power to sound cards and live with it studdering, but video is a totally different situation, when your video studders, you get dropouts and video distortion or nothing at all on the screen.

Upgrading your PSU to one with 40 to 50 Amps on the 12 volt rail is highly recommended.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 September 2011 - 08:19 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 SgtNoobert

SgtNoobert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:06 PM

So I went and exchanged that card for one with GDDR3 which requires 18A and guess what...IT WORKS! All problems solved, computer up and running. Thanks again for the help!!!

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

You could of got a new better power supply rather then exchanging the graphics card.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

So I went and exchanged that card for one with GDDR3 which requires 18A and guess what...IT WORKS! All problems solved, computer up and running. Thanks again for the help!!!

There you go as I said you were over the limit by 6 Amps with the other card, this one meets the output of your PSU and it works, but you are still very close to the limit and if demand gets too high from other hardware, you may notice a performance hit on your video graphics.

I am glad things are working Okay for now.

Bruce.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

Probably when the graphics card itself is loaded then you might run in some problems. I usually don't suggest Rosewill power supply's because of there quality, you should have a look at Corsair power supply's or Seasonic.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users