Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand spankin' new PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rdf8585

rdf8585

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:12 PM

My new desktop system is coming tomorrow, and I already know it's an astronomical upgrade over my current WinME, P4, 1.4, 128 RAM, 20 GB HD system. What I'm wondering is, how long should the specs on the new system remain decent? I mean, the system its replacing is useless and it's only 3 yrs old (though that's in part to poor choices back when)

Custom Dell Dimension 3000
XP Home SP2
Intel P4 w/ HT technology (3.0 GHz, 800 FSB)
160 GB HD (7200 RPM)
1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM, PC3200, 400MHz
48x CDRW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
SB 24-bit advanced HD Audio
Intel Extreme Graphics 2

Going to use it for web surfing, e-mail, IM, word processing, and watching movies, as well as listening to cd's and mp3s.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:44 PM

Welcome to "BC"!

No one can say for sure because of the propensity for change.

You probably have a year +/- until you'll need to start upgrading. Mostly then in programs rather than hardware, but that too is in the ether. Since you're not "gaming" you might have a bit more time.

Stay tuned to "BC" and its forums for the requisite knowledge on what you might want to do in the near future.

You've purchased a "fair" system.

Peruse the forums here on how to protect your system from malware, adware, spyware, etc. Keep updated with M$.

AsK questions. We all learn from the questions.

regards,
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 rdf8585

rdf8585
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2004 - 09:05 PM

I already have McAfee net security 2005, plus i plan on downloading ad-aware and spybot.... seems like "fair" is a bit pessimistic... I thought that was a real good system for someone like me.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 01 November 2004 - 09:29 PM

I already have McAfee net security 2005, plus i plan on downloading ad-aware and spybot....  seems like "fair" is a bit pessimistic... I thought that was a real good system for someone like me.

I too have McAfee AV and use several other free on-line scans to supplement.
(I've used other AV's and they do not update as quickly as McAfee....)

A two way fire-wall is important also.

I did not mean to insult you by the term "fair" in your purchase. We all purchase what we can afford at the time. (Your system is in the medium range at this time. For What you purchased from the Dell company, you could have had locally built for at least one third less very probably.)

//I do not build or sell computers. I adopt some, rebuild them if possible, and give them to kid/students or Seniors.//

Having "played" with the Dell company in the past, I've found them to be short in customer service and problem solving. My experience only - you'll need to get input from others on that subject.

I hope your system provides what you need for years to come.

regards,
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 twistofcain1976

twistofcain1976

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:49 AM

I find it hard to believe that your old system is "useless"
i've been running a P3-1.0mhz 512meg Ram and have been even playing games like Doom 3 (all be it at a low res.)

when your intent is to use it for web surfing, e-mail, IM, word processing, and watching movies, as well as listening to cd's and mp3s
you only need a bit of processing power & some memory.
the only thing you might have needed is a memory upgrade.

... but new is better.

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:50 AM

Welcome to BC-your home away from home away from home...
You will find that the members here have quite a bit of knowledge in both current and older systems.

As much as I would like to give my opinion on your new system, I can say that it will be an improvement over what you did(currently) have. I hear all the time that their old computer is worthless, when they see that it has become obsolete. In many cases, that is not necessarily true. I can tell you that one of my clients loves using thier old computer to just surf the net or play solitaire. In some cases, people dont like not being able to run software at the stores, and they feel like if their computer can not handle these, then it is pointless to use. You can also do other things with an older computer ranging from checking out Linux to using it as a firewall.

Your new computer does have room for improvement. Lets say that a year of so from now, you wanted to upgrade this one. You can easily do this without having to purchase expensive parts, and they are very easy to install. Adding a video card, or sound card, will breathe new life into your purchase for a fraction of what you originally paid.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#7 rdf8585

rdf8585
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2004 - 11:17 AM

That computer had other problems than antequated specs... it sometimes sounded like popcorn was being popped inside the tower, which would render it useless for a few days. It also couldn't shut down properly on any given occasion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users