Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format Harddrive/ Reload Xp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jeeper038

jeeper038

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

OK hear is my story. I bought my laptop used from my brother and it worked fine (compaq Presario 2100). I bought a wireless card and in my excitement over wireless, I didn't notice norton was expired. So needless to say, I aquired spysheriff. It totally locked up the computer. I had my uncle play with it and he installed windows 2000. My brother-in-law then said he could get XP back on it so what he did was image my hard drive (40G) to another hard drive (20G) and then he installed/updated the 20G. and everything went fine. So he decided to image the 20G to my 40G hard drive and at about 25% an error occurred and would not image anymore. By the way, I only know how to run one drive at a time, so I have to pull the drive and switch them. Also the 20G works, but I would like my 40G. When I start the 40G, it wants to know if I want to run XP or windows like always, when I had 2000 it said 2000 instead of XP, If I choose XP it says that it is missing a file: system hal.dll, something like that. and then no matter which button i hit, it restarts and does it all over again. I have tried to boot from the CD but it does the same thing. It will not let it start in safe mode or anything like that. If I choose to start from windows instead of windows XP it goes to a blank screen with a flashing cursor and I have to turn it off with the power button. I do not have anything important on the 40G so I was wondering if I could somehow format it and then reload XP. If so how do I get it to format, and then can I use the CDs that came with the computer to reload XP. I found out that the computer has 2 years left on the warranty from Best Buy, but will they still cover it since all this has happened. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to give you all the info I had. Thanks for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:20 PM

Wow! Ok, so I guess that you want to format your 40 gB drive and install XP on it.

What happens when you boot from the CD's that came with the computer? They should offer you an opportunity to format and reinstall the operating system (this is also called a destructive restoration on some systems).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jeeper038

jeeper038
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

Yes, that is what I want to do. It will not let me boot from the CD's. The system restore CD does nothing, when I put in the other CD (I don't remember what the other one is) it takes me to a red screen and it says contact compaq.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:22 AM

Have you entered the BIOS (F10 at start) and made sure your CD is first in the boot order?
CD
floppy (If you have one)
hard drive

The other CD is probably the Compaq Software and drivers for that computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

Did I understand correctly that the 20 gb drive would run windows for you? If so, with a computer that new you are better off installing the other drive (you CAN do it) wiping it, and then reinstall on it while you still have windows working. Look in your case where the drive is attached, and you should have another connector on the same lead. The first connector (on the end) to the 20gb HD, second to the 40gb.Look for another power connector (just like the other one} and plug that in, they are all keyed so that you cannot do it wrong, so don.t worry. Before you install the drives, look on the back and set the primary to master and the secondary to slave with the jumper that is probably already on the drive. Then go to your bios and update the drives if they are not recognized. (primary 0 and 1.} It's fairly easy, and you don't need nearly as many relatives. If it doesn't work, what's to lose?
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#6 jeeper038

jeeper038
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:59 PM

I have tried changing the boot order, but will not boot from it. I can hear the Cd spin for about 2 seconds but nothing.
Yes the 20gb will run windows. So I am supposed to start the computer with the good 20gb drive, pull the 20gb and then put in the 40gb drive.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:03 AM

Make sure the second drive is set to SLAVE or the computer will not function properly.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:30 AM

Install the 40Gig drive as a slave and then have windows format it, then install it as an only drive set as master and reinstall XP in a fresh install, formatting again with the XP cd to set the op system partition.

#9 jeeper038

jeeper038
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:49 PM

Please explain how to install as a slave when I can only use 1 drive at a time.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

It will work similar to a CD or floppy. You just set a jumper on the back of the drive and plug it into and available IDE socket or the ribbion. Right behind the main hard drive. It's like adding another filing cabinet to your office. you only go into when you need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users