Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'This application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 frankp747

frankp747

• Members
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

Someone please help I was doing a system restore when the computer turned off when i rebooted it, the next time i turned my laptop on it goes to the log on screen but when I click my name it begins to log on but then an error message pops up titled Explorer.EXE - Unable To Locate Component and it says 'This application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.' So I click 'OK' and all that shows up is my wallpaper. No icons on the desktop no toolbar on the bottom no start menu no nothing just my picture. I really don't have a clue what to do at all. If anyone could give me clear instructions or any tips on how to fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated, I have tried using the drivers disks to try to install but i cant access the dvd /cd drive wont open the disk juast sits in the dvd cd drive as well please help plus now it laptop whn i try to boot it stays at the windows xp screen but does not want to go any further then scanning there its a acer aspire 5670 with widows xp professional, sincerely frankp747

Edited by frankp747, 08 September 2011 - 11:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

Hello frankp747,

From what I read, the "Wininet.dll" error can be caused by software, hardware, or malware. Why were you performing a system restore?

Have you tried to access Safe Mode?

• As the computer is booting, tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the "Advanced Boot Options" Menu.
  • Use your arrow keys to move to "Last Known Good Configuration" then press the <Enter> key. Reboot the computer.
Posted Image

• If that doesn't work, try "Safe Mode."
If Safe Mode loads then try to do a System Restore using a point before your troubles began.
  • Click "Start," "All Programs," "Accessories," "System Tools," "System Restore."

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

Let's try a repair install. Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

Prior to performing the system restore did you remove any of the Service Pack files via Disk Cleanup?

#5 frankp747

frankp747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:24 PM

no i just was doing a system restore and laptop turned off then when i turned it on it went to screen and gave me thee warning , then lateer when i tried it again all it does is stay loading on windows xp screen , sincerely frank p747

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

How did the lap turn off was it plugged in, and you lost power to your house? Or was it running on battery when doing the restore?

#7 frankp747

frankp747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

lost power to it battery turned off and when i rebooted got that error message of missing wiiinet .dll then now it just stays stuck at trying to load windows

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:48 PM

In cases like this I would recommend reinstalling windows if you could, because of other possible file corruption, but I will see what other advisors say.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

A clean install is certainly the simplest solution, but if it were me, I'd try a repair install first as suggested by Allan:

Let's try a repair install. Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

If that doesn't work, then I suppose a clean install is your only option.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 08 September 2011 - 09:52 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#10 frankp747

frankp747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

i have tried but i can not get the dvd to load the cd i put it into the dvd drive and it sits there reading it wont turn it on i have tried it for days with no luck , i do wish i could re install windows i would right now maybe i just dont know how another way around that, sincerely frank p747

#11 frankp747

frankp747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

i have tried but i can not get the dvd to load the cd to reinstall windows i put it into the dvd drive and it sits there reading it wont turn it on i have tried it for days with no luck , i do wish i could re install windows i would right now maybe i just dont know how another way around that, sincerely frank p747

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

In the BIOS do you have boot from CD selected?

#13 frankp747

frankp747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

yes i do but cd is not reading for some reason before i was able to get into bios and i did put it to that setting but i could not get it to open the and read the cd once i did put the cd in the drive it would not run

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:43 AM

Just a general question, do you see any mention on the screen during boot up suggesting to "hit any key to boot from CD disk"?

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:52 AM

If you cannot boot to a cd / dvd it is for one of four reasons:

1) The dvd or cd is bad or not an original disc
2) The drive itself is bad
3) The drive is not the first device in the bios boot order
4) The mobo battery needs to be replaced