Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dyrbooker

Dyrbooker

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:54 PM

Hi,
here is my problem I like to download, not illegally but there is alot of legal stuff to download, books, movies, songs, games. When I surf the web I get lots of cookies, malware, spyware, e-mails and the such. I have cleaned all of that off of my computer and would like to dedicate one pc to surf the web and stuff. I bought Steganos anomimoty suite. I have ask for help with that under another topic. Here is what I need help with now. We have 4 computers in the house one (a pc) is connected to charter DSL, two are laptops which are wireless, and the other is not connected yet. That is the one that I'm going to dedicate to downloading and surfing. If I go wireless with this one will people be able to pick up my siginal and track my activity, should I hook this one up to a DLS line? Will a program like Seganos work on a wireless connection. What are your suggestions.

This pc has only been hooked up to the telephone line so I'm not sure what kind of hardware I will need to get it on line. But I don't think the cable company will give me another box to conect to the cable line. so can I buy one? where? which one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:58 AM

I personally prefer wired over wireless but sometimes this is not practical. A couple of questions?
1) The computer that is connected straight to the Charter DSL connection, is it wired? Is there more than one plug in connection on the back of the DSL modem? If you have several that is where your other computer will plug in.
2) The 4th computer. Does it have a RJ45 jack on the back of it? The RJ45 jack will look like a telephone jack but there will only be one and it will be slightly bigger the a telephone jack. A lot come with one built in and it is located near the USB ports or the sound card jacks. If you have one this is where you will connect to the DSL box, provided it has addional ports.
If it does not have a [RJ45] jack commonly called a Ethernet Port you will need to install one. This is very easy.

As long as you secure your wireless connetion you should not have a problem with break ins. Are you having problems with intruders on your other wirelessly connected computers?

The Steganos Anomimoty Suite. I see no reason why it will not work.

Buy all means connect your 4th computer to the DSL. If you do not have a available port on the back of your DSL you may need a hub and a crossover cable to connecct your 4th computer, or it may be cheaper it that case to go wireless. Here is a site I like for network parts.. Just Deals

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/wg311nar.html

I would recommend you stay away from USB if possible.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users