Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hate this thing

hate this thing

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:52 PM

Greetings All,

Windows XP, IE6, All updates, Mcafee, Norton, and some unknown pop-up apps, cable modem.

I've looked through the forum for days and can't seem to find my specific problem.

When I turn my system on, i can hear the HD running rough, knocks and the such. Once the system is ready to go, whenever I try to type, I'm invaded by countless zeros, in search fields, and any text box on the pages. I can highlight and delete for days and nothing happens, they are still there. BUT, occasionally, I do get the computer to stop typing in zeros but only for a little while.

Norton, mcafee, and other programs hae sacnned and said all is well. But, it's not. Spyware and other apps, have done the same.

I am unaware as to whether or not it does it in other programs like Word, etc. It's not my system per se.

I want to HJT it, but at this time it is not an option for me.

Please ANY suggestions??

Sorry if this is in the wrong post.

RR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

If you log in to your computer in Safe Mode, does this continue to happen?
Is this something that just happened, or was there from the very beginning when you first got your computer?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 hate this thing

hate this thing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:22 AM

hi jgweed,

I am unaware if it does it in safe mode, but will find out.

It just started happening a few weeks ago. Reformatted the HD and it was fine for a couple weeks and then it started happening again.

Trying to figure out if hardware or software program. System and virus scans have found some things and have quarntined and removed. However, some are still showing up. I will get the details on which ones.

Thanks.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:23 PM

Do you have Norton and MacAfee running at the same time? That would be a bad thing. If you do disable one if not both to see if he computer starts functioning correctly. Do you have a firewall running? Have you tried changing keyboards?
Could you list the other security (antispyware ad antivirus) you may be running?
Sorry for the apparent basic question but you did not provide much information.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:02 PM

Maybe a bad keyboard, some command key stuck on which effects everything else at particular times?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 hate this thing

hate this thing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

Thanks all for suggestions.

Working on trying to change out the keyboard and seeing if that may be the culprit.

As for Norton and Macafee, only Macafee is running Norton was never reloaded after the HD was reformatted.

The string of zeros also happens in other programs running, such as Word and in the timer field under desktop properties.

Under Safe Mode, the computer was just a blank screen, a blinking cursor and no ablility to do anything but shut it down again.

I am trying to get all the info I can, please bear with me, the owner is a bit reluctant to let me do many things to it. But, I am trying to make it easier to all of you and me.

Again, thanks.

#7 hate this thing

hate this thing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:57 PM

Hello all,

Well tried to replace the keyboard and we still have the same problem.

a string of zeros appearing in text boxes for no apparent reason. All virus scans done numerous times and nothing found. However, after deleting some cookies and history, the problem seems to stop for awhile, but returns.

Thinking time for a new HD and get rid of the reformatted one. If that doesn't work, the gnome in the front lawn will have access to whatever it wants!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users