Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tighten a Gateway Laptop Lid

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LadyKeys

LadyKeys

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

Hi all -

I have a Gateway P-173XL FX laptop, 17" screen, dual core, 4 Gigs memory, running Windows 7 Ultimate. The lid is becoming a little loose and I've been trying to find the screws to tigthen it, without success. I don't usually work on laptops but feel very comfortable with desktops - unfortunately this is a laptop issue. I don't want to take it to a "shop" - I've had very bad experiences with local shops here and sending it out isn't an option.

I tried to find a manual or instructions on tightening the lid but have not been successful. One place suggested removing the screen which I really don't think is necessary and I'd rather not do because it has been recently replaced. The lid was tight then but due to heavy usage over the last few months the lid has come loose.

Thanks in advance for any input on how to do this. If anyone knows of a place that offers images with step-by-step instructions that would be great!

LadyKeys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

The thing about laptops is that they are all made differently. I couldn't tell you exactly how it is done on your laptop. When you say lid, do you mean the back of the screen? Or do you mean the whole screen is loose at the hinge?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

This could be caused by several things and it is hard to tell from your description.

1. The screws inside the screen holding the hinges to the housing could be loose. They are under the Bezel around the screen.

2. The screws holding the hinges to the base could be loose. Sometimes they require taking the top cover off and other times they are on the back of the laptop or accessed from the bottom.

3. The screen flops back and forth because the hinges have worn out.

4. The Hinges are broken.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

I have seen the nuts inside the screw holes pull out of the plastic. My laptop had that problem. I just glued them back in with JB Weld (other high-strength adhesives like long curing epoxy will work as well).

#5 LadyKeys

LadyKeys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

Hi all....thanks for the input.

xXAlphaXx....I mean the whole lid - the screen and back of the screen is one piece.....well, it appears to be one piece but I know it must come apart because I recently had a new screen put on (tech people broke the OEM while fixing something else on the system). By "loose" I mean it will stand up when I have the system on my lap or on a table but it will go back and forth easily - more than when I first got it back after it was tightened.

It doesn't appear to be broken - just a little loose and I wanted to tighten it up but I have no idea where to look for what would be the "connection" between the lid and the system/keyboard itself. There's nothing wrong with the screen - it's perfect now and the shiny type. But after using it daily while waiting for my newer system to return from servicing (August was a bad month here for computers!) the "lid" seems to be a little loose.

It's not so bad that I can't use the system or it flops down by itself......just that it could be tightened up some. If it's a huge job and the whole system needs to be taken apart then I'm going to just leave well enough alone. The Toshiba I'm on right now is very tight compared to the Gateway lid which I used a lot while the former was in service.

There are two silver round pieces....one on each side of where the lid meets the bottom part of the laptop. It seems like there should be screws in there that need tightening but there doesn't appear to be a way to remove those silver pieces easily. I don't want to wind up taking it to a "shop" because I damaged it further.

Thanks again and I hope I cleared this up some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users