Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Feuding Neighbors

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

From a guy in Texas :

My neighbor is a "lefty" of sorts (Obama bumper stickers, gung-ho socialized medicine, "guns should be banned", etc.). So this past spring I put this sign up in my yard after one of his anti-gun rants at a neighborhood cocktail party.

The sign wasn't up more than an hour before he called the police and wanted them to make me take down the sign. Fortunately, the officer politely informed him that it was not their job to take such action without a court order and that he had to file a complaint "downtown" first, which would be reviewed by the city attorney to see if it violated any city, county, or state ordinances, which if there was a violation a court order would be sent to the offending party (me) to "remove the sign in seven days."

After several weeks he was informed that the sign was legal (by a quarter of an inch) and there was nothing the city could do, which obviously made
him madder.

I tried to smooth things over by inviting him to go shooting with me and my friends at the hunt club but that seemed to make him even more angry. I am at a loss how to reconcile our long relationship (notice I did not say friendship), any suggestions would be welcome.

Posted Image

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

Haha, and not to mention you are expressing your right to freedom of speech. The Bill of Rights would win in this case.

Does he not know that without guns his right to opinion would be non-existent had we not declared our independence from England?

The USA was built on guns and the US Military.

Edited by cryptodan, 08 September 2011 - 08:18 AM.

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

Not to get too deeply into a topic that may be better suited for the Speakeasy, but as a hunter, gun owner, and former member of a state bureau of law enforcement I'd like to point out the following:

> Statistically, if you keep a loaded gun in your home it is far more likely to be used against you, a family member, or an acquaintance than against an intruder,

> Guns are extremely popular with thieves and burglars -- by advertising their presence you are telling the thieves where to find them and warning them to come in prepared for the worst.

Otherwise, have a nice day.

A gun-owning lefty.

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

The story\picture is a tongue-in-cheek joke. I received it in an email. I didn't post it to get a controversy started over gun control. If the mods need to move this post or delete it, I apologize for the mistake.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

Banning guns in the U.S would be a difficult thing to do because people would start illegally using and possessing guns if that law was in-placed.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

Banning guns in the U.S would be a difficult thing to do <snip>.

Not to mention illegal since the second amendment of the United States Constitution is still in effect and valid.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Bold is mine, for clarity.

Until the second amendment is legally changed or made null and void by Congress. Any and all arguments about US citizens owning legal guns is a waste of time.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:40 PM

Not to get too deeply into a topic that may be better suited for the Speakeasy, but as a hunter, gun owner, and former member of a state bureau of law enforcement I'd like to point out the following:

> Statistically, if you keep a loaded gun in your home it is far more likely to be used against you, a family member, or an acquaintance than against an intruder,

> Guns are extremely popular with thieves and burglars -- by advertising their presence you are telling the thieves where to find them and warning them to come in prepared for the worst.

Otherwise, have a nice day.

A gun-owning lefty.

You make some interesting points, but statisticly, many gun owners are morons. Yes, if you leave a loaded gun on your night stand, especially when your not by your night stand, the intruder is likely going to take it from you and use it against you. However, if you only keep it by your night stand when your within arms reach of said night stand, and locked up the rest of the time, the chances if an home invasion go up drastically in your favor. Or better yet, just keep it in a fingerprint safe by your bed-fast and easy for you to get to, difficult for anyone else to get to. Statistically speaking, most burglars are more afraid of the shound of a pump action shotgun chambering a round then dogs or fancy alarm systems.

You are right in guns are popular with thieves-and can make you a target if they know you have themhowever most thieves are cowards, and if they know you own a gun chances are, theyre going to be extra careful to make sure your not home when they break in. Which is why I dont advertise my guns, and I keep them locked in a place away from the windows. A sign saying I have a gun and will use it, will likely scare away the person who wants to break into your house and mess with your kids, but will likely make you a target for those who simply want the guns. It has its ups and downs, a beware of dog sign and a german shephard does far better. With that being said, that signs awesome lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:51 AM

Having at least 2 german shephard in the front gives you a advantage because you will have enough time to get your gun and call the cops.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

Shadow, my German Shepherd, agrees.

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

...A gun-owning lefty.

>>>raises hand<<< Ditto.

#11 TulsaRose

TulsaRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:41 AM

Hey, UT, nice to see you. I've missed your funny posts. :thumbup2:

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:25 AM

I might add though, an amendment to my statement. A sign saying you have guns may make you a target for some, and scare off others. It will likely scare off the common thug looking for a few jewels to get drug money, or something like that, but a criminal in need of a gun (which theres a lot of reasons thugs want other peoples guns) will target that house specifically.

On the same note, having a fancy alarm system will both make your house more secure-and at the same time a target. It will scare off again, your petty thief, those looking for a drug fix or something like that-but to a professional burglar, it spells you have something extremely valuable you want to protect. A fancy alarm system is not a fool proof way to make you safe, neither is a gun, or two german shephards in the front yard, they are simply tools to make life safer, that is all.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:51 AM

Looks like you need the military to guard your house now, 100% burglar proof :lmao:

>Michael 

#14 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

No Offence ever intended towards anyone.

Putting up meaningless signs is just so Stupid. It just shows that person just shows their own stupidity.

If there is no Sign, then there is no information.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:23 AM

Drovers, that quote there makes no sense, if there is no sign, then there is no information. No duh, thats why the sign is there for, to show information. In some cases like this, a sign like that while maybe not in the best taste, is I think funny, but doesnt necessarily show the owners IQ in either way.

Now, some signs are important-like a stop sign. They are there to tell people to stop so they dont hit someone. a speed limit sign is giving us information so that we know how fast we can go without getting pulled over. Without that information, wed get pulled over, hence the sign

On top of that, even if your assumption is correct, and the person putting that sign up is maybe less then intelligent, well, in my opinion calling said person stupid makes you no better. Two wrongs don't make a right-it just makes two wrongs.

A sign like that is meaningless, and perhaps shows disrespect for the neighbor, but I dont see how calling the owner of said sign stupid as being in any better taste. especially since you don't even know said person.

Edited by the_patriot11, 12 September 2011 - 12:24 AM.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users