Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ongoing problem downloading programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bc45601

bc45601

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:32 PM

I have been having an issue for some time now. I am running windows vista on an emachine. I have attempted numerous fixes and have been unable to download any programs for months. Sometimes the error messg will say unknown publisher, corrupt content from reliable source. At some point i was able to get rkill to download as well as, avast and atf cleaner. I scoured thru 25 pages on the forum looking for a cure... to no avail. The latest block was to adobe reader and mp3skull. avast finds no virus. Any ideas? I am open to trying anything at this point. I know its not the router since i was on the phone with belkin for nearly 2 hours. I also tried disabling the firewall and avast with no success. Edit... since windows security wouldnt update, i disabled it and defender months ago. also avast just came back with = invalid file signature. Thanks for any help.

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2011 - 07:35 AM.
Moved from Vista to External Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc45601

bc45601
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:24 PM

Just a few minutes ago, I tried to download malwarebytes in the safe mode. I actually thought it worked the download completed and when i clicked on the icon: runtime error '53'. I did a full sytsem scan with avast... no virus.Any ideas?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

Who could tell?

You've left the system crippled (possibly)by running CCleaner.

You haven't employed a firewall for some time.

You haven't employed an AV program for some time.

You probably don't have all critical updates installed.

IMO, the best decision that you could make would be to delete that Windows partition and start over. At least that would give you or someone else a decent chance to troubleshoot issues in a timely manner.

The eMachines factory restore option amounts to what I suggest.

Before doing that, I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...no point in trying to correct file/system problems without being sure that the hard drive is not the problem.

Louis

#4 bc45601

bc45601
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

To make a long story short, something is wrong with my router i believe.I while my laptops have been working just fine, my desktops havent. I, as a last resort, wired 1 of the desktops directly to my modem and bam it downloaded just fine. No unknown publisher or corrupt file errors. now i just need to figure out how to correct the router issue. Ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users