Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista stuck in update loop, I don't have Product key to start from scratch

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 christappan

christappan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:06 PM

My laptop fell into a never-ending cycle during a Windows Update. When I turn it on, it boots up fine, then goes to a "Installing Update 3 of 3..." page, from which it eventually restarts the computer, only to do it again. I've tried the repair option, safe mode, etc, etc, and I've searched forums all over with no working solution. I can format the hard drive if needed, but as a laptop, it didn't come with a installation disk, and the sticker on my laptop has long worn off the Product Key. I know that if Vista's running I could retrieve this key and I know how I would format the hard drive if Vista was running, but it's not. A couple of thoughts/questions, responses to any of which would be much appreciated.

Is there a way to boot to the command prompt?

If so, how would I go about recovery?
Is there a way to retrieve the product key from the command prompt?
I restored the system last year from a partition on the hard drive--is there a way I could access this from the command prompt?

Thanks in advance... I'm stuck without assistance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users