Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not restore to factory settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pizza Hut

Pizza Hut

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

Hello,

Not sure if I'm putting this in the right section or not, but I hope so.

I have a Toshiba M45 S2692 Laptop with Windows XP Home Edition installed.

It has a hidden recovery partition that's intended to restore the laptop back to its factory state.

To restore back to its factory state you are required to hold down the 0 (zero) key while powering on the laptop.

This does not work. It worked in the past ( the recovery never completed) but the recovery console did boot.

I've tried using many, many partitioning programs to show the hidden recovery partition, but so far none of them have been successful. I wanted to unhide the partition and attempt to boot from it (if that's possible)

I used Hirens Boot Cd the other day to boot from the recovery partition, and it worked great. I selected "boot from XP" and I assume because I wiped the previous install of XP from the drive with the factory restore option (which never finished, but apparently did erase XP), that's why I was able to restore using the recovery partition. However,after reverting back to factory settings and while installing Windows updates, the installation failed and corrupted my newly installed XP operating system. I can no longer restore to a previous point and uninstalling the service packs isn't possible. According to the Microsoft website, my only option now is to completely reinstall my XP operating system, which I can't do because it just doesn't work.

What options am I left with, is there any other way to tell my laptop to restore to factory settings besides holding down the zero key while powering on (which doesn't work).

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks so much for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

Have you seen Restore Toshiba M45 ?

Not necessarily enlightening but From Toshiba Forum.

If not already done, I suggest contacting Toshiba support for new disks...and running the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive before attempting to use such.

You may also want to try the Toshiba Diagnostic Tool .

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

FWIW: Microsoft seldom defines guidance on OEM systems like Toshiba systems. The manufacturer is totally responsible for support of such, while just about all MS guidance is written from the perspective of a user who has a Genuine MS install CD and does not have to deal with recovery/restore partitions/disks.

Louis

#3 Pizza Hut

Pizza Hut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for taking the time and try to help.

Yes, I have seen the Restore Toshiba M45 link, what is so frustrating is that it doesn't work. It had previously worked in the past, but the entire recovery process never completed for some reason. I've researched this problem extensively (to the best of my ability) and numerous other people had the same problem with the recovery process.

I tried to obtain new recovery disk from Toshiba, but they no longer offer them for models made before 2006, I typed in my exact model and serial number on their official site and confirmed that they no longer offer recovery disks for my model.

I found this site out of the U.k. and they offer recovery disks for my model, but I think they only include drivers, not sure if they would actually restore my system to it's factory state.

http://drivers-download.co/Device/Toshiba/ToshibaSatellite/Toshiba-Satellite-M45-S2692-XP-Drivers-CD-Download-242855.html

I thought maybe I could download an .iso of the disks someone had ripped, not sure if that would work or not, but I didn't come up with anything.

I've done several tests on my hard drive and they all come up with zero errors.

Did several memory tests, and they all came back good.

It's so frustrating, because according to tests, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my hard drive or my laptop, it's just the system recovery tool that Toshiba provides doesn't work properly.

After finding out that Toshiba no longer offers recovery disks for my model, I wiped the entire C partition (not saying it was smart, or the right thing to do) and was hoping to just install some other operating system, so that I can just move forward.

It's going to cost me over $100.00 for a new copy of XP which is infuriating, beings I already paid for the copy that I had. I don't know much about installing operating systems, what is doable and what isn't. Is there anyway I could use my XP license key to validate a new install of XP without having to pay for it again?

I do have an old Windows ME (Millenium Edition) reinstall disc that came with my Dell back in 2001, I don't suppose there's any chance of that working if I install it on my Toshiba laptop?

What do you think the best course of action would be to move forward?

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it :)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

The best course of action, IMO...would have been to buy a version of Windows that did not include/depend upon recovery/restore mechanisms...delete everything that came installed on that system...and then have capability routinely repairing/reinstalling Windows.

Most persons who buy laptops...do not pursue that path, so you are no exception :).

What would I do? If I had a laptop (I don't care for a system that I cannot repair at all and which is sold to be replaced), I would buy a copy of Windows 7 or install some variation of linux on it. Since learning linux would take more time than I care to devote to such...Win 7 would be my choice.

Available cheaply, http://www.bizrate.com/operating-systems/1170942671/index__ctr_brand--32472__ctr_pos--BR%3BUS%3B7S%3Bhot%2FHotListViewFixed%3B1%3B20%3BProductListPod%3Bproductpod%2FProductPodListViewFixed%3Bvisible%3B1%3Bmain%3B1__ctr_rel--32719264284672.000000__sort--6.html AND http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.220510400?WT.mc_id=mercent&mr:referralID=9ea87b3e-da79-11e0-be22-001b2166becc . The family pack allows install of Win 7 on 3 different systems, same license...and also provides users the choice of either 32-bit or 64-bit installs.

I don't believe in looking backward when it comes to computing, so I would not advise buying any of the MS operating systems which either are now or will soon be obsolete. They will still work and be somewhat supported...but I would be limiting my chances of success when I decide to ditch the computer I currently have...and are forced to use something else because no system will come with XP installed.

Since I don't know anything about laptops or Toshiba systems...that's what I would advise.

Or...take the system to a shop that services Toshiba laptops and see what they have to say.

I've seen those advertisements for "recovery disks" and I would exercise caution before deciding to buy such from someone selling such, other than the manufacturer of the system. I've not seen a clear statement of just what these disks do and I've not seen any definitive statement that imply an legal liability if the disks don't function as anticipated.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users