Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VERY long start up/Windows 7 fails to update every time

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 K. Carter

K. Carter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

First, a little background.
I got a new laptop about a month ago. I got it used from my girlfriend's sister. She wanted to get rid of it because it was "full of viruses." So, I got a Dell Studio 1558 laptop that was bought new about a year ago for $100. At the time I figured that was an amazing deal, since I was confident that I could get rid of any viruses that it might have.
So, here's what's going on. First of all, I don't THINK it has any viruses. I've run a paid version of Kaspersky AND the free version of Malwarebytes in both normal and safe mode, and they came back clean, but I am still having some problems. In a nutshell, the thing takes 30+ minutes to boot up. When it goes through the boot process, it will always do it twice, and in the middle it comes up with a black screen that tells me it needs to run a disc check. If I let it do the check (it gives me the option to cancel) it will come up with the following error: 766f6c756d652e63 3fi
I've done a few diagnostic scans on it and come up with error codes such as:

Error Code: 0F00:075D
MSG: DISK-DST self-test read error
and
Error Code: 0F00:065D
MSG: DISK-DST self-test read error

I've looked up all these codes, and I have found problems that pretty much mean a near-total disk failure. If that were the case, it wouldn't seem like I should be able to be doing ANYTHING on the computer... and, I'm posting this message from it right now.

I don't think that the long boot time has anything to do with a ton of programs trying to run at start up. I've gone through and cut it down to just the bare essentials.

Anyway, in addition to the very long boot time, Windows 7 will not update. It will download them, but when I try to install them, it will nearly always fail. Looking at the update logs, I can see that they have been failing for a long time, well before I got it.
The computer came to me with its original box and all its original contents. However, Windows 7 was preinstalled, so I do not have a disk I can reinstall to.

Let me know if there is any more system information that you need.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Edited by K. Carter, 07 September 2011 - 06:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

Time to back up, and them get another drive before your data is gone.

#3 K. Carter

K. Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

Time to back up, and them get another drive before your data is gone.

That isn't the reply I was hoping for, but it is sort of what I was expecting.

Replacing a hard drive isn't something I'd be comfortable doing myself, so I'll have to take it some where. Can things like operating system and software like MS Office be retained, since I don't have an OS install disk of any kind.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

Those can be bought separately, but do you have the recovery partition?

#5 K. Carter

K. Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

Those can be bought separately, but do you have the recovery partition?

I'd rather not have to pay for Windows 7 if I don't have to, seeing as I've already got it.

I'm not sure what "recovery partition" means. I have tried the system's recovery settings in the past, but it gave me errors. I don't remember now what those were.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

Can you make the recovery cd's?

#7 K. Carter

K. Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

I attempted to create a system image, only to find that my external hard drive isn't formatted in a way that it can be used for this purpose, and I don't have any blank DVDs. I'll pick some up tomorrow and get back with an answer.

#8 K. Carter

K. Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:14 AM

Alright. Sorry it took so long to get an answer to this.
I attempted to make a system image, via the Backup and Restore panel. I was not able to do this. It told me that parts of the disk were corrupt, and that it needed to do a disk check. Disk checks result in the error listed in my first post.
I WAS able to create a "system repair disk." I can easily back up important files to my external hard drive, but will a "system repair disk" at least get me back my OS if I have a new hard drive installed? I'm not too terribly worried about other expensive programs like MS Office, because I've got the authentication codes to (hopefully) re-download them.

#9 Sofikupn

Sofikupn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:56 AM

Hi K,

It seems like I have already gone through the same problem about a year ago. My laptop used to take about 8 minutes to get my desktop after i put my password and enter. What you should do is, if you have tune up any version, you can go through Disk Doctor. It is a very long process but you just need to follow the guidelines what it says to do. Please be patient coz it takes about 2 hours to repair your problem.
View more at www.hollywoodbollywoood.blogspot.com
Regards,
Sofi

#10 K. Carter

K. Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

Hi K,

It seems like I have already gone through the same problem about a year ago. My laptop used to take about 8 minutes to get my desktop after i put my password and enter. What you should do is, if you have tune up any version, you can go through Disk Doctor. It is a very long process but you just need to follow the guidelines what it says to do. Please be patient coz it takes about 2 hours to repair your problem.
View more at www.hollywoodbollywoood.blogspot.com
Regards,
Sofi

Sofi,
That doesn't quite sound like the problem I have. The time from the log-in screen to the desktop is only a second or two. I'm looking at 30+ minutes from BIOS to log-in.

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

You could try a startup repair ... http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/An-unspecified-error-occurred-766f6c756d652e63-3f1/td-p/267276

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 K. Carter

K. Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

You could try a startup repair ... http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/An-unspecified-error-occurred-766f6c756d652e63-3f1/td-p/267276

I have tried that. It takes me to a screen similar to the one on my login page, sans any content. I can move my mouse cursor around, but otherwise there is nothing.

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

May or may not be relevant: A Fix for The Dell Studio 1558 for Randomly Shutting down or Restart during use - Hot Topic - 368418: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_368418&isLegacy=true

FWIW, a quick Google search reveals a LOT of people are having/have had major headaches with this particular laptop model.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users