Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Set Default Program

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Brewster

Bryan Brewster

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

Hi,

We use an in house program that resides on the user's Windows profile directory, and works with a custom file type. Normally I just associate a file with the correct extension ( .alc ) to the in house program via the file properties dialog in the Windows GUI without any trouble.

I have a user who changed the default program to Adobe Reader, and I am now unable to change the default program back to the one that is actually supposed to be used to open this file type. I can select the correct .exe file via the file properties dialog, but now it doesn't allow me to set our in-house .exe to as the program it should be opened with.

I also tried deleting each instance of the .alc file type from the registry ( After setting a restore point, of course.) which removes the association with Adobe Reader, but I am still unable to associate it with the correct exe.

At this point, I've run out of ideas for things to try, and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:12 PM

You may download exe - Executable application files and run it from Here .

#3 Bryan Brewster

Bryan Brewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the info. It didn't quite do the trick, but I used the content of one of the .reg files to track down the registry key I needed to edit to set the correct exe to open the program.

The key was HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\alc_auto_file\shell\open\command

The value I used to fix the problem was basically "%userprofile%\location\of\exe\file.exe" "%1"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users